Energy Class catagories

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an explanation in Wiki, though having skimmed through it I'm no wiser.
Appliances seem reasonably easy to understand, lamps less so. Perhaps another time when I've not had a drink .....

Can anybody help me understand the Energy Class categories?

Using this product:

https://www.toolstation.com/led-gls...&ranSiteID=pfxNKSnglIM-NfhK8ktnDp73mOpN1oRRew
According to the labeling its a "F"

So how can a LED bulb be an F for F sake?

No....

But if you scroll down this Wiki artilce...
Energy ratings

it does explain some bits about how the energy ratings for lamps changed from Sept 2021...

Edit: I understood about as much as Geoff when I just skim-read!

The people who create these ratings labels obviously don’t live in the real world.

what brought this to my attention was a customer today asking me if their new E grade bulbs were efficient or could be improved on?

they we’re 4.6 watt led, anything less would be too dim

What did strike me from that article is the change over time of the meanings of each rating. That is as more appliances qualify for A rating the standard is changed to call them B or C and so require further improvement. Literally moving goals.

What did strike me from that article is the change over time of the meanings of each rating. That is as more appliances qualify for A rating the standard is changed to call them B or C and so require further improvement. Literally moving goals.

i simply don’t understand how a LED light can be an F

it doesn’t make any sense and my customer thought they had to go out and buy more LEDs 🤔

Interesting stuff
I normally stay clear of the energy efficiency stuff and the Ecodesign directive, apart from when dealing with a colleague in the USA.
His customers are always looking for ways to justify equipment as compliant, when it isn't.
Since being in a wheelchair, I go shopping even less than I used to. But I recall relatively recently going around a supermarket and being stopped at their selection of LED lamps.
The first thing I looked at, unable to pick any up was the shelf edge information.
Instead of £/kg or the like for food, it actually showed lm/W.
I found that intriguing. The spread was amazing.
Worth a quick look if you are there.
It might give you an idea of what is in consumer the market for the customer.

Latest posts