minor works

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
i have a question lads still learning! if i were to install a new light fitting say for example from a pendant to a new metal fitting on an exsisting property would i need to get a zs from the end of that lighting circuit or would you take it from the light i wish to relace.

secondly initial verification on a lighting circuit do you do the r1 +r2 at every point or just at the end of that circuit i know you record the highest reading.

cheers

i have a question lads still learning! if i were to install a new light fitting say for example from a pendant to a new metal fitting on an exsisting property would i need to get a zs from the end of that lighting circuit or would you take it from the light i wish to relace.

secondly initial verification on a lighting circuit do you do the r1 +r2 at every point or just at the end of that circuit i know you record the highest reading.

cheers

I wouldn't bother with recording R1+R2.

You need to check CPC continuity and Zs at the accessory to ensure that the CPD will operate.

You need to check Live conductor continuity to ensure the accessory will work (R1+Rn).

You then need to check IR.

If you want to check Zs at other accessories on the circuit, that's up to you, although it's not a requirement of the Regulations.

I wouldn't bother with recording R1+R2.

You need to check CPC continuity and Zs at the accessory to ensure that the CPD will operate.

You need to check Live conductor continuity to ensure the accessory will work (R1+Rn).

You then need to check IR.

If you want to check Zs at other accessories on the circuit, that's up to you, although it's not a requirement of the Regulations.

Initial verification on a lighting circuit

erm R1+R2 a must

recorded on schedule of test results

confirms polarity and allows you to check your switches work

(2 way/intermediates etc)and are in correct position for your IR tests

dont have to do a ZS test,, this can be done by calculation.

with some testers the ZS test will appear higher due to the 'trip lock' function

Initial verification on a lighting circuit

erm R1+R2 a must

recorded on schedule of test results

confirms polarity and allows you to check your switches work

(2 way/intermediates etc)and are in correct position for your IR tests

dont have to do a ZS test,, this can be done by calculation.

with some testers the ZS test will appear higher due to the 'trip lock' function

Yes

but you also asked regarding 'initial verification' which is different

thats what i answered

Spin replied to your first question

It is only when issuing an EIC that R1+R2 on RFCs and R2 on Radials is required.

If you look at the model form in BS7671, it lists the essential tests that are required when issuing an MWC.

These are: Earth continuity, Insulation Resistance Earth Fault Loop Impedance, Polarity and RCD operation (if applicable).

There is no requirement, and in fact no space to record R1+R2. A MWC does not require either a schedule of test results or inspections.

I would expect someone to conduct continuity tests on the conductors, which if using a meter would show R1, Rn and R2, at the same time I would expect polarity to be confirmed.

I would then expect that IR tests be performed, followed by a Zs test to confirm EFLI is low enough for the CPD to operate.

Of course if your meter is not such that it can be used to carry out a Zs test, then calculation will have to be used. However there is still no requirement to record R1+R2.

Latest posts