Should I be applying to the DNO to increase my output?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I am aware the DNO approves the install based upon the size of the installed inverter not what panels you have. If an extra inverter is required they need to know so they can do an infrastructure impact assessment.
That's the way it works, size of the array is irrelevant to them, they just want to know how much leccy could be drawn or backfed into the grid. You have an automatic right to backfeed 16Amps (3.6 kw), over that they can refuse the connection, although they have become quite happy with export limitation.

If you install a separate AC battery, they see that as two connections , one for the solar, one for the battery.

Do you mean youre actually installing it yourself or youre employing contractors to do it? If youre wanting to export energy it's nigh on impossible without an MCS certificate.
No, I'm getting an MCS approved contractor. I notice you said you have a 6.5kw system, does the output exceed 5kw very often?

I don't know about the rest of the UK but the Scottish DNO limit is 3.8kw.
Up to 3.8kw you have to NOTIFY the DNO, above that you have to APPLY and get APPROVAL as this now becomes a contract for the feed in tarriff.
There is also an increased charge for exporting power to the network - I was advised this was for the "Rental" of the export meter

I don't know about the rest of the UK but the Scottish DNO limit is 3.8kw.
Up to 3.8kw you have to NOTIFY the DNO, above that you have to APPLY and get APPROVAL as this now becomes a contract for the feed in tarriff.
There is also an increased charge for exporting power to the network - I was advised this was for the "Rental" of the export meter
According to website Network Power Connections, para World voltages UK DNO distribute 230v and as the maximum export current allowed is 16A this equates as follows: 230 x 16 = 3,680W which just happens to be rated wattage of GTI serving this sector. If on the other hand one uses 240v then this equates to 3,840W. Chief Engineer Scotty appears to have misled you, probably got confused with the way it is on Romulus. ;)

Latest posts