What is the solution?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right - here`s the setup.

Internet on a D-link router

Ethernet connection to an 8 port switch

PC hardwired to switch

Lappy hardwired to switch. (can also wireless to router if required)

2 separate network printers hardwired into switch

Wired connection through powerline ethernet (222Mps) unit, to Sky box (provides Anytime+ on demand HD)

I thought I would need to configure the Sky box line, to lower its priority, so that use of the tinternet from the computers won`t be affected if the Skybox is streaming data.

But I don`t seem to be able to access the 8 port switch via its address. I can talk to the router, but it can`t see *through* the switch, to where the end devices are connected.

Am I worrying needlessly? Or is there something I need to configure?

Thanks

KME

does each item have its own IP ?

I can do that with my stuff through a 4 port switch and a 4port router, I can tell the router which IP to give priorty too,

but, that probably doesnt stop the bottleneck between the switch and router, I'd not thought about that till now,,,,,,,,,,

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:36 ----------

EDIT, as you are using one of them plug in thingies for sky, could you not plug it directly into the router?

switch is plugged straight into router mate.

Yes, everything has its own IP - router, switch and all end peripherals. Don`t know if the powerline ethernet units have an address or not though?

My router is only seeing the switch as a connected client - it isn`t "seeing" anything beyond the switch.

does your router only have 1 LAN?

the bottle neck will be on the cable from router to switch, ideally you need the sky box into the router so you can choke its speed, or at least downgrade its priority status.

Oh, wow - all the good stuff is coming out tonight, isn`t it ]:)

Paddleit - it wasn`t expensive - so I suppose its a dumb terminal type thingumybob :) Though it ISN`T D-link; its "newlink"

The router seems to think it has its own IP; but won`t let me talk to it.

Winnydoze can`t draw a network map cos its f`in stupid because its windozy.......

Albert: The router has actually got 2 ports (the last one that went belly up had 4) ; but I`m only using one of `em - stupid me thought the switch would help to segregate it, or something equally daft. I dunno - must be getting old. :(

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:49 ----------

Sky anytime+ can be connected wifi (

routers are all kinda default with 192.168.1.1

or maybe .2.1 or similar, have you tried that in your browser window?

if not send paddler a link and we'll put some funny stuff up on your screen.! :slap

I think you will only be able to choke the 2 connections direct to your router, so you will have to plug your sky box into it directly.

hey, Ive just thought,

Im almost 100% I have a sky(are you with sky?) 4port router I could stick in the post tomorrow if you want,

give me 10mins and I'll have a check

Send you my WHAT? How?

I know my router IP - and the router has told me what it believes the switch IP to be.

I know the computer(s) and printer(s) IPs - cos I set `em as statics

beyond that - I can do binary, octal and hex in me head; and still remember some of the mnemonics from CBM "machine language" programming.

Thats about it - I muddle along, without really knowing how.

Example - HP laserjet 2420

Its developed a "time lag"

When I ask it to print something - I don`t know where the command goes, but for about a week its taken between 3 seconds and 30 minutes for the order to arrive at the printer.

Nothing has changed on the network. I don`t know where it goes, why, what it does when its there. I`m just grateful it comes back and gets printed.

What do you want, what could you do with it, and how do I find it?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:17 ----------

hey, Ive just thought,Im almost 100% I have a sky(are you with sky?) 4port router I could stick in the post tomorrow if you want,

give me 10mins and I'll have a check
Sadly, NOT with sky mate - "talktalk" is the demon child :(

`fanks for the thought

Im with T-T [obviously!] as well, isnt it the same 'type' of router though?

as opposed to a cable router, I have one of those too somewhere.

if you know your routers IP put it into your address bar of your browser and it should let you into your router

then can you only see two IPs from there I assume, one for your switch, and one for the other port if you have anything plugged into it.

that will probably be the only control you have, the actual 2 ports on the router.