Wtf?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've had to copy and post this from a thread as its been locked and there doesn't appear to be any way for me to reply so here goes.....

"urdoch, on 06 Sept 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Why should I, after all this is for electricians who should know their regs!

Because this is also for students, apprentices, career changers, DIY'ers and others who may be less familiar with wiring regulations or good work practices than you are. If it were purely for people who know the regs, then by definition they would not need to ask, which sort of defeats the point of asking something if you already know the answer. There is no legal obligation for a working knowledge of BS7671 to do the work being asked about in this question. The better the quality of the answers given on the forum then the more traffic it can attract with better search engine ratings which can increase its potential for prospective sponsors. Which will all help to keep the forum alive and thriving. If you enjoy the forum please do your best to make it the most helpful and useful electrical resource on the internet. Thank you

Doc H."

So stiffle free speech to keep the sponsors happy.

I don't think so.

No Murdoch,

The sponsors have no say on what is posted.

The sponsors simply pay for the hosting costs of the site and the software via their advertisment.

If the forum has no sponsors, there is no money to pay for the hosting and software, thus no forum.

Therfore the forum has to attract users, both new and old to provide a "market" for the advertisers.

Else the members would have to pay to keep the forum going.

Remember that the forum is not run by a large corporate entity.

It is run by some of it's members.

The thread was locked by the OP as he had his answer, thus marked the thread as solved, thus, this locks the thread, this is a feature of the forum software.

And to add

"

Posted Today, 09:31 AM   Best Answer

I'm a competent DIYer and have been extending rings, adding spurs, installing FCUs, sockets and light switches etc etc for about 30 years with no problems, but I've never tried to 'recycle' a cooker circuit, hence my request for advice. I've never felt comfortable tinkering with the CU so the prefered options for me now are the 4mm or lollipop routes.  Big thanks to Andy, ProDave, Sidewinder, Pewter and DocH.

Murdoch, shouldn't you be out looking for work instead of wasting your time on here? :-)"

So this forum allows people to have a pop and then lock the thread.

This is a really scarey forum,

And in response to bold above, - no not really, got enough on my plate matey, but I'm on here to learn from other sparks.....

One final question - how and who can lock threads?

No Murdoch,
The sponsors have no say on what is posted.
The sponsors simply pay for the hosting costs of the site and the software via their advertisment.
If the forum has no sponsors, there is no money to pay for the hosting and software, thus no forum.
Therfore the forum has to attract users, both new and old to provide a "market" for the advertisers.
Else the members would have to pay to keep the forum going.
Remember that the forum is not run by a large corporate entity.
It is run by some of it's members.
The thread was locked by the OP as he had his answer, thus marked the thread as solved, thus, this locks the thread, this is a feature of the forum software.
Thanks for that, which I think is a really BAD idea as there is no right to reply!

Your answer is above.

Else threads can be locked by mods & admins.

If you feel that the post you have quoted above is really that bad then I suggest you report it to the moderators and they will review it.

So stiffle free speech to keep the sponsors happy.

I don't think so.

I wouldnt say that,

CK are a sponsor,

and they got slated a while back on the quality of some of their screwdrivers.

they actually entered the thread and responded positively and were to review the issue.

Murdoch

As has been said above - Moderators and Admins do not lock threads for any unjust reason and if locked they will always say why.

As for free speech - yes this forum is what its all about.

You seem to mis-underatand and be confused so let me try to explain

The OP - The person who opens the thread 

If he or she feels they have the correct answer then they can click the best answer button for the post that best answers their question.

This does two things - the best answer to the post is put at the top as the best answer so new readers can see the original question and then the best answer.

The second is that the thread is locked as the best answer has been given the OP doesn't require any more answer and this further stops old threads being dug up and added to and becoming convoluted.

This works very well.

Should you have any other issues about any posts then please press the report to moderator button.

And in answer to your question - Admins, Moderators, Owners and The thread opening poster (OP) can lock a thread. The OP can only lock his/her thread, whereas Admins and Mods can lock any thread they wish.

The OP can also unlock the best answered thread if they so wish to.