Garage Sockets and Lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88daveb

Reaction score
I've been asked by my uncle to do a few sockets and lighting in the garage. Would a 16A radial do the trick for the 3 sockets and to feed the lighting off the existing 6A MCB.

The lighting will probably be 1 or 2 flourescents.

Or will a ring be a better solution?

Are these existing circuits? What is he planning on using the the garage?

I will be stripping out the old circuit as they are redundant and beyond repair

he'll be using power tools, radio, etc.

I'll be putting a new cct in.

Is the garage distant to or joined onto the house? If distant what's the earthing arangement at the property?

You have to calc it but if you just want a few sockets for power tools you could likely spur off your 16A radial and fuse down for the lights. No need to bother with a ring. How is the cable to be run? You could maybe do it on a 20A if you wanted a little more?

So long as you don't want a kiln out there........

lights will be fine on a 6A

the sockets will depend on how and what he will be using, 16A if its just hobby stuff etc, if he is however like my dad who will leave the saw on whilst using the sander the i would recommend a 32A ring

paul

the garage is joined onto the house and for the circuit i willl run it off a new MCB.

Now, will the new lighting cct to be installed for the garage be ok to terminate into the existing lighting MCB 6A which controls the lighting in the house. or will reg's prevent that, due to being outside or two many terminations in one MCB, etc.

the garage is joined onto the house and for the circuit i willl run it off a new MCB. Now, will the new lighting cct to be installed for the garage be ok to terminate into the existing lighting MCB 6A which controls the lighting in the house. or will reg's prevent that, due to being outside or two many terminations in one MCB, etc.
It would be fine, but if there was a problem with the lights outside (water, rodent) it will knock all your lights off. We recently had a discussion on cables into a MCB - as many as will fit!

I dont think the cables will need to go outside for the lighting cct, so i'll just be using TandE.

ta fellas for the feedback.

work starts tomorrow.!

16 or 20 amp 2.5mm radial

or

32amp 4mm radial

or

32amp 2.5mm ring final

use fcu fused at 3amp off of your socket circuit for the lights

Or go the whole hog and

6 or 10mm from a 32amp/40amp mcb (depends on your loading & a few other factors) @ house cu into garage & plonk in a small 2way cu with mcb's for seperate sockets & lighting circuits. If the house & garage are integral just export the earth from house cu, if not look at TT'ing the garage.

Dont forget the rcd.

6 or 10mm from a 32amp/40amp mcb (depends on your loading & a few other factors) @ house cu into garage & plonk in a small 2way cu with mcb's for seperate sockets & lighting circuits. If the house & garage are integral just export the earth from house cu, if not look at TT'ing the garage.

Dont forget the rcd.
Thats how i would do it. SWA from C/U so no Rcd needed that end into a 'Garage consumer unit' in the garage that normally has an Rcd main switch and 1x16 & 1x6 A breakers. If welders etc are to be used swap the 16A for a 32A and make sockets a ring.