New cooker install question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmoore

Reaction score
We had a new cooker delivered the other day to replace an old one, but they would not wire it up for us because we did not have a terminal outlet box behind the oven. It seems the cable runs up behind the kitchen units into the control unit switch

and then off to the CU. (can't see behind kitchen unit)

The last oven was install 2 years ago so have the reqs changed in that time.

The old cooker was rated at 10.2Kw and the MCB at the CU was 32amp.

New cooker is rated at 8.7Kw

So do we have to get this terminal outlet box install or not ?

and is that 32amp MCB suitable or not.

thanks.

not using diversity then?

This happens alot where currys refuse to connect up for some reason or another.

call a electrician and ask them to wire it up, and follow manufactures instructions.

there may even be a electrician on here in your area.

The cooker did not come with any cable.

The main question I am asking is.

Must I install a terminal outlet box when I am only changing the appliance over to a new one ?

And what is the purpose of said box ? I can understand having it if your cooker comes with it's own cable, but if it doesn't you need to buy extra cable.

The new cooker says it should be connected to an omnipolar switch with

HO5RR-F cable.

Diversity on a cooker is, if memeory serves me, first 10amps then 30% of the remainder plus 5amps if cooker switch has a socket outlet on it. So 10amps plus 8 amps plus a possible 5 amps is 23 amps.

Of course the usual cable calcs have to be done.

The cable is a rubber appliance cable which is fine if big enough but there are other cables that would be good enough.

Cant help with cable calcs as havn't got my books with me.

I usually fit an outlet plate but I dont think its a must more of a reccomendation. I may be wrong though

Currys delivery guys are not Electricians.

They are only allowed to connect to a Cooker connection unit which can be isolated at a suitable Cooker switch above.

Your 32 Amp and 6mm cable cooker circuit is adequate.

I would suggest installing a low level cooker connection point and this will solve any problems in the future.

A cooker outlet point is defo "best practice" and I doubt any sparks wiring a kitchen these days would leave it out. However I come across 6mm t&e coming straight from the isolator to the appliance on many occasions. In these situations I usually add a 30A junction box and continue to the appliance with 4mm H07RN-F ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4TQ3slash50.html ), there's usually a cupboard or skirting to screw the JB to. H07RN-F will satisfy any manufacturers instructions. I also keep 2.5mm for smaller appliances (eg ovens). You don't say what size your instructions recommend (bear in mind 4mm might not fit - though that's unlikely on a cooker, usually only on ovens). You'll need cord end terminals (or you could tin the ends)

Your 32A/6mm circuit is plenty adequate for an 8.7kW cooker (seems small for a cooker though, would have thought the hob alone would have added up to that). The OSG says this size circuit is good for 15kW cooking appliances in domestic.

Alternatively, just connect the t&e straight into the cooker if that's the best you can do yourself.

I have stopped putting in outlet plates especially in fitted units they are just a waste of time and another thing to go wrong but always leave enough cable so oven can be fitted easily. I have been out loads of times to people that have not had cookers fitted by the likes of currys etc just fit it on to the end of the cable job done.

Hi wmoore. If thats what currys specify then thats what you will need, as Sparkytim states there delivery staff are only trained to connect to the low level outlet unit

AS you already have the cable running from the above worktop isolator down to the cooker position why not just install the outlet unit onto the end of it ...job done as they say !

F F S,

Allow me to answer directly....

YES you can connect directly to the existing cable and NO you dont HAVE to fit a connection point.

Your new cooker is rated less than the old, so it will be fine.