List IN ORDER- test required for a new installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Plate

Reaction score
Hello all ,

As I am doing more on revision for the big exam in 301-302-303. using loads of information , books, internet , old revision sample papers and even in the forum...

There is a question that confused me of which one is the right answer..

According to my notes in the course that the list IN ORDER the test required for the new installation is..

1) Continuity of earthing conductors

*CPC

* main bond

* Equipotential earthing

2) Continuity of ring final circuit

3) Insulation resistance

NOTED that all sensitive equipment must be turn off or unplugged.

4) Polarity test ( -+)

FIRST 4 IS ALL DURING DEAD TEST

** AND FOR LIVE TEST

5) Earth electrode test ( Ze ) only for TT

6) Earth loop Impedance test ( Zs)

7) Prospective fault current ( PFC)

*PEFC ( between Phase and earth )

*PSCC ( between Phase and neutral )

8) Functioanl test

* RCD 1/2 x - 1 x and 5 X

Could anyone please correct me if there is missing or in a wrong order .. I have seen different sequence of testing in new installation... my notes might be in wrong order or maybe your expertise will add more knowledge to me and to the other members in this forum.

Thank you all .

Lplate

Had a quick look at your list and 2 things spring to mind...

1 Do you need to put polarity in your live tests as well as dead? You need to make sure you have the correct polarity coming into the installation.

2 Don't forget the test button on your RCD test.

Good luck

Earth Electrode Test using an 'Earth Electrode Resistance Tester' (Ra by the way, not Ze), is a DEAD test - if you are using an Earth Loop Impedance Tester......then, of course, it is a 'live' test and measured as Ze.

Polarity is the first of your 'live' tests - it applies to the polarity of the supply.....which you would want to confirm, along with Ze, before you energise the installation.

Initail testing sequence:-

Page 33 Guidance Note3

Para 2.7.4 "The sequence of Tests"

will answer your questions!

Or PIR testing...

page 73 GN3!

:)

Guidance Note 3 explains the correct procedure, page 33 I think.

best thing to do is make an Excel file like I have to show the sequence, expected results, how you do it, settings used, leads used etc.