Problem with RCD tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConfusedBean

Reaction score
I have a problem at home with the RCD tripping. Seems if I have more than 1 appliance switched on on downstairs circuit the rcd trips.

This morning for example I had the TV on for 2 hours with no problem. Turned the washing machine on - 10 mins later RCD tripped. Turned all power off around house then washing machine on and it worked fine. Turned tv on 30 mins later and RCD tripped. Waited for washing machine to finish then turned tv back on and no problem. Also tripped when I had washing machine, microwave and toaster on. Microwave and toaster together didn't trip.

Also had same problem the other day with TV, oven and deep fat fryer.

I am totally confused as other days I can have a lot on but RCD doesn't trip

Your help would be much appreciated

Are you an electrician, or student electrician, or just a normal non qualified homeowner Confusedbean? Have you had any electrical alterations done recently? There are tests that can be done to check the RCD is working correctly, and their are tests to check the condition of the cables. But you would need a bit of test equipment that a average DIY would normally purchase. Intermittent tripping can be due to water getting across the electrics then drying out later, eg leaking washing machine. Welcome to the forum.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:29 ----------

Also, You say you are in South Wales, we do have a few member down that part of the world, (including Admin), If you don't have access to any test equipment, then one of our members may be able to help I am sure.

Doc H.

Intermittant tripping is always the hardest problem to sort could be a faulty RCD but more likely a wiring fault or appliance going down to earth. Fifty percent of members come from wales some sombody could probably help you out.

as Batty says, intermittant tripping can be a ****** to find, more so if it goes for days with out tripping.

your RCD may be to sensitive, or it could even be your fridge/freezer on its way out. you turn the washer on and all is fine, fridge kicks in and bang.

where in wales are you?

Hello & welcombrulations to the forumbulator..... :coffee

Agree with everything my esteemed colleagues have said......

I will just add..

the TV (or some other home entertainment gear) is unlikely to be a prime culprit..

Because a lot of this gear is double insulated with only a twin flex supplying power.....

So they have no exposed metal parts that have to be earthed...

so less easy path for electric to flow down to earth.....

If the appliance has a thin flat flex its most likely double insulated.. ;)

I would concentrate investigations around your kitchen appliances that do washing or cooking...

the higher power stuff with metally bits and earth connections all over!

Sounds like you need to test the RCD to make sure its not tripping below its value .

If you're not an electrician , the RCD does'nt trip on overload but if it detects a fault . As said by my learned colleagues , often kettle, iron, immersion heater, cooker ,specially the older upright ones, driers and sunbeds .

From reading your post, the common thing mentioned is the washing machine. Odds on its developing an earth fault at some point in its cycle. Could be a ****** to find.

I had one a year ago. PAT tested washer before use, all good. Tested during use, all good again. When it got to its first spin cycle....pop! It was an old washer so client binned it. Cheaper to buy a new one.

I suggest you to call a sparky. It could be different things...

It happened to me once to find an earth-neutral fault. With no or little load RCD was fine, all light on RCD tripped, hob on tripped, and so on...

good luck...

Latest posts