Use of ferrules

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSwift

Reaction score
Hi, Im an english spark who just moved down under, I am told that the company I work for use ferrules on absolutely everything, "industry standard" is what they said. I am connecting up motors and the isolators for them, 2.5 stranded cable (not flex). I have very rarely used ferrules in England, Only in panels really. I can see why you would use them on tri rated or flex, but not on a 2.5mm with seven rigid strands. Does anyone use them all the time or see the benefit of using them on non multi stranded cable. Cheers.

May be a silly question, but could you put some

photographs on the thread so that we could get

a better idea about potential applications?

Mate, what would you like a pic of, Im working 7 days so I can get one anytime. You want a pic of the cable or the ferrules?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:24 ----------

Ill try to photo the whole scene with the isolator and motor etc. to give you an idea of what im talking about. Thanks guys

MrSwift,

Welcome to the forum.

I use a lot of bootlace ferrules, which I believe you are describing.

However, I rarely if ever use them on 7 strand type wire.

I'm not familiar with the wiring requirements of the AUS/NZ standards.

Anyone CompEx trained may be able to comment on whether this would be standard practice in that field, as I believe that the wiring standards relating to the UK DSEAR regs are more "international"?

I believe that these are the sort of things you are on about?

Buy Bootlace Ferrule Kits Bootlace ferrule kit.0.5-2.5mm sq cable RS X374.4292.0001 online from RS for next day delivery.

Ferrules are used on stranded cables.

They would serve no purpose whatsoever and may even make the connections worse if used on single strand cable e.g 2.5mm t&e

I use bootlace ferrules (French colours) on stranded stuff pretty much all the time at work. Into contactors, push button blocks, plcs, you name it. On motors it's ring crimps on the terminal block. I'll generally use ferrules in Commando type plugs and sockets as well. I'm that sad that often when wiring a 13A plug I'll put a ferrule on the wire ends like what you get when you see a commercially wired plug.

Interesting what the OP said about the Aussie wiring - about 15 years ago we were importing crane equipment from NZ and we had to basically read them the riot act to get them to fit ferrules AND cable markers in their control panels.........

Can't see the point on single, solid cores though.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Onoff,

Do you put ferrules on 6491x type "7 strand", or just on flex, SY,YY, Tri etc which is fine stranded and flexible, rather than the more pliable rather than flexible 6491 conduit wire?

Oh & I prefer the German colours TBH as that is what I was brought up on! ;)

Onoff,Do you put ferrules on 6491x type "7 strand", or just on flex, SY,YY, Tri etc which is fine stranded and flexible, rather than the more pliable rather than flexible 6491 conduit wire?

Oh & I prefer the German colours TBH as that is what I was brought up on! ;)
No, I don't use ferrules on the conduit wiring - TBH each of the 7 strands is pretty much a "solid" core on it's own! I reckon a ferrule could make it more likely to come out of the terminal and harder to get in.

I only use the French colours as when we got the Kiwi's to start using them on the panels (we were comparing them to German kit we had seen) the Kiwi's adopted the French standard for some reason - and we never specified. As we have then been adding / modding the NZ stuff ever since it made sense to carry on with that. The German kit just doesn't need modding! Always said we backed the wrong horse there!

Ferrules are great for industrial and commercial panels / control stations etc .

Two reasons I think.

1) Excellent when a panel is subject to a lot of swopping /changing on a long snap on rail.

2) On flexible control wires ,keeps all the strands from straying to the next connection.

I don't think they are needed on general lighting /power installations.

The only time I ever use ferrules was when fitting rcbo's in fuse boards and if I have to shorten the earth or neutral leads

multi strand = ferrules

6491x = no ferrules............but that's just me. Strines may well be different [bunch of convicts descendents if you ask me] FFS they won't even let you take cheese into the country !, also they drink lager, have 'knowledge of the Ovine kingdom', have animals with huge feet, insects that will kill you [one that hides under bog seats FFS].....on the plus side they produced the Minogues, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,.....@coat

Hi All,

I ALWAYS use ferrules on fine stranded cables [like flex or SY or whatever], and, as OnOff said, even if just fitting a 13A plug, there is a reg which REQUIRES this too, only i cannot be bothered to look it up right now!!

Obviously i would not use them on a cable with a SINGLE solid core, no matter what the size, but on any cable that has multiple strands of a small diameter that i would consider will be damaged, seriously crushed, or "chewed up" by the action of tightening the terminal, then yes, i would always use a ferrule..

john...

I normally use them on my own jobs,

but if Im subbing then more often than not I dont use them,

I will usually point it out/ask the contractor if they use them, they usually say no, not down to me.

Always on flex, eg wiring central heating or immersions or plug tops

Use them on singles if they are being terminated with solid (eg 2.5 solid with 2.5 single)

Use them on 7 strand cable if the terminal is much bigger than the cable (eg using a 25A rotary isolator and fitting 4mm armoured) or 6mm t&e into a shower

In relation to smart meters, there was a study carried out by the ESC which showed that 7 strand tails will loosen with time in a standard main switch due to the strands seperating under the pressure. Using ferrules would prevent this so I can see the logic.

PC,

This is now delving into my argument AGAINST one torque setting for all types of wire in, for example an MCB termination! ;)

Having designed programmes for automated nut runners in the automotive industry, soft and hard bolted joints etc...

Ferrules....crimps......similar things? Some deem it perfectly acceptable (I'm in the "only if there's no other way" camp)to extend the odd bit of T&E with in-line crimps so if that's accepted can there really be an argument AGAINST ferrules on single, solid cores or the 7-strand "solid" stuff?