Talk Electrician Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy, Terms and Conditions and Disclaimer for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Welcome to Talk Electrician Forum

Welcome to Talk Electrician Forum, the UK's Friendliest Electrical forum on the internet, whilst you can view all our posts and topics like most online communities you must register to post (reply, or ask a question) in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. We do have different membership levels (called silver and gold) as a subscription service, BUT, this is an extra, and not needed, So please feel free to join for FREE, and then decide if you like our community, and would perhaps like to subscribe to any of our our extra services. Our members offer the best advice in the electrical industry including DIY,Domestic,Commercial,Industrial,Renewables,Health and Safety issues and Control and Automation.

Be a part of Talk Electrician Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Combi Boiler

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 steptoe

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts
  • LocationGtr. Manchester
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Agricultural, Vehicle, Other
  • Training:Time Served
  • Employment:Self Employed

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

so, I need a new combi, my boiler has been on the way out for a couple of years now, and its finally on its knees,

funny noises and continually locking out,

I have a main combi24 at the minute, does anyone have any thoughts on these ? there is also a 24 version, but for £50,,,,,,,

apparently they are made by vaillant, and as far as I can find its all good reviews on them,

BTW, I have an electric shower if thats of concern.

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Twatt ™

• Bronze Member
  • 7,192 posts
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial
  • Training:Time Served, Apprenticeship

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Personally I would NEVER have a combi boiler.

WHY do you want a combi?

I would go for a conventional boiler with either a mains pressurised hot water tank, or a heat store tank.

Either will give you mains pressure hot water at a MUCH greater flow rate than any combi.

I would only consider a combi boiler if nobody in your house EVER takes a bath.

If I get the chance to build another house, I will use a heat store system, so much easier to combine multiple heat sources e.g woodburner, solar thermal and a conventional boiler.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by ProDave, 04 January 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#3 steptoe

steptoe

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Combi already fitted Dave, I would say 3 baths whole of last year, and little one even prefers a shower now. Electric shower BTW. Local wholesaler has Biasi 28kw for 430 +vat.

#4 Sharpend

Sharpend

• Bronze Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial
  • Training:Other

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

From my experience you are better to pay for a quality make as these are more efficient. There is a Sime combi boiler in our house and I have to say it is rubbish yet the equivalent Baxi, Valliant, Bosch are much better. However I'm not buying a new one, so over to you.

#5 NozSpark

NozSpark

Seaman stains™

• Bronze Member
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales Riviera
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Agricultural
  • Training:Time Served, Apprenticeship, Other

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

From my experience you are better to pay for a quality make as these are more efficient. There is a Sime combi boiler in our house and I have to say it is rubbish yet the equivalent Baxi, Valliant, Bosch are much better. However I'm not buying a new one, so over to you.

I know from experience that the Worcester Bosch service team are excellent,,, they usually come out within the next working half day and they have a van full of bits so it would be very rare for them to not be able to fix it there and then.

E.g. An elderly customer had a fault,,, they thought that it was the timeclock or room stat so called me, I found that it was actually a boiler fault and phoned the service team (11:50) they said that their guy would be there that afternoon. True to their word he came and fixed it straight away.... No nipping off to get bits as he had a fully stocked van!

#6 steptoe

steptoe

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

IF, I had the money Noz it would be a Worcester, but, at short notice like this its what cash is available.

#7 NozSpark

NozSpark

Seaman stains™

• Bronze Member
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

IF, I had the money Noz it would be a Worcester, but, at short notice like this its what cash is available.

Totally understand mate...

I've been told that Gloworm are OK

#8 steptoe

steptoe

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

arent gloworm rebadged baxi ? or is it biasi?

anyway, looking around a bit more doesnt seem that biasi get many positive comments, bit of a mixed bag from what I can find,

its just going to have to be something cheap and see how many years I get out of it and hopefully some spare cash by then.

#9 Nicky Tesla

Nicky Tesla

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

BROAG REMEHA Iv got one of these steps it seems sound.   Mine has a mini 3 port valve instead of a diaphragm which can go dodgy.

Anyway seems other people like them as well.

http://www.ukplumber...anta-range.html

#10 revjames

revjames

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 3,536 posts
  • LocationAnglesey North Wales
  • Skills:General All Rounder, Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Panel Building, Machine Control, Vehicle, Other
  • Employment:Employed

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Just dont buy a Ferrolli.... pile of garbage if you ask me.

I bought a Ravenheat Condensing Combi from B&Q 7 years ago, there was 10% off and it was a bank holiday so another offer meant another 20% off. Ended up buying it for about £400 which seemed like a bargain. Never had it serviced since all they do is take the cover off, brush the dust out, check water pressure and charge you £100 and its never missed a beat....... that is until Scottish Power decided to blow the control boards up with their antics. Just had new boards fitted at a cost of £300 plus the call outs which probably means the repair cost more than the boiler(SP paid anyway). can't fault it really for the price.

Had a ravenheat about 25 years ago when combis were relatively new and had no bother with that either.

But who's heard of Ravenheat?

Edited by revjames, 05 January 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#11 steptoe

steptoe

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Ive in the past done loads of ravenheat oil burners, not seen a gas one yet though,

new turn up, discovered the wife has had the stat at max this past week! why?  :shakehead

anyway turned it back down to its usual 20 and everything [touch wood ] seems ok, apart from the noise coming from the boiler, which has been going an a while now, and just the occasional lock out,

might, just might, give me enough time to get a couple of more quid together for something decent, hopefully,

googling, the fault can be a few things, flame sensor faulty, condenser blocked/full, ignitor bad, or, which Im hoping for, overheat on the boiler - which might make sense if stat is up full and the TRVs are all off,

only rad without TRV is small 600mmX400mm , still, the noise continues so its time to seriously think about a replacement,

and about time I fitted this prog-stat I got sent, then she cant mess with it anymore,!  X(

I'll update tomorrow on the situation,

thanks for all the input,

#12 Onoff

Onoff

Distinguished Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Gumtree, eBay?

http://www.gumtree.c...-old/1004949778

#13 ProDave

ProDave

Twatt ™

• Bronze Member
  • 7,192 posts
  • Skills:Domestic, Commercial, Industrial

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Don't like to worry you, but I've been reading a lot about boilers on another forum and the consensus seems to be that condensing boilers are nowhere near as reliable as conventional boilers.  Problems with the metalwork of certain bits corroding and boilers being scrap after 7 years or less.

Opinion seems to be avoid a condensing boiler if you can.  Yes it will be less efficient, but not if you have to get a new boiler every 7 years.

Apparently you CAN still fit a conventional boiler if there's a good reason not to fit a condenser.  No access to an external wall for the condensate drain is the most plausible.

I would be very interested to hear from those that fit and service boilers regularly to hear if this is true, or just internet BS. Also if true, do the same issue also apply to oil fired condensing boilers?

Edited by ProDave, 06 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#14 batty

batty

Snoopy™

• Gold Member
  • 10,998 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Do they not suggest you have a magnaflow thingy to prevent corrosion. Next time I get my boiler serviced I think I may get one fitted.

#15 steptoe

steptoe

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ok, we have now calculated a budget of £700, 800 totally max, so should get something a bit better, Ah, condensate, therein lies another problem, existing boiler simply has a pipe through the wall, it doesnt actually go into a drain anywhere! Will need to investigate this some more, thanks for the heads up Dave, will speak to plumber at work tomorrow.

#16 NozSpark

NozSpark

Seaman stains™

• Bronze Member
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Why don't you get BG out to fix it for their fixed fee repair,,, you might then get another couple of years out of it to save up for a better one.

BTW you can get pumps that allow you to pump the condensate up and over if you need to.

#17 revjames

revjames

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 3,536 posts
  • Skills:General All Rounder, Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Panel Building, Machine Control, Vehicle, Other

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

condensate boiler just requires a 22mm waste pipe throught he wall into nearest drain.

Its only water :innocent

Edited by revjames, 06 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#18 steptoe

steptoe

• Gold Member
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Thanks rev, house is built on a raft, but the downspout drain is only about 3m away on the corner,

I thought maybe it hadtogo to a run off drain somewhere, I can sort that out then.

Have found a Ravenheat 85 for 500 :) and they seem good, just unknown, and 3year warranty. 

#19 revjames

revjames

Distinguished Member

• Bronze Member
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

as I said before steps, mine was the cheapest combi around, missus spent most of the budget on fancy acova rads that look like the old cast ones so cost was an issue. Its never let me down except when Scottish power blew it up. Am I right in thinking its a British product too?

#20 Steve3948

Steve3948

Distinguished Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationWiltshire
  • Skills:General All Rounder, Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Panel Building, Machine Control, Agricultural, Inspect &Test

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Don't like to worry you, but I've been reading a lot about boilers on another forum and the consensus seems to be that condensing boilers are nowhere near as reliable as conventional boilers.  Problems with the metalwork of certain bits corroding and boilers being scrap after 7 years or less.

Opinion seems to be avoid a condensing boiler if you can.  Yes it will be less efficient, but not if you have to get a new boiler every 7 years.

Apparently you CAN still fit a conventional boiler if there's a good reason not to fit a condenser.  No access to an external wall for the condensate drain is the most plausible.

I would be very interested to hear from those that fit and service boilers regularly to hear if this is true, or just internet BS. Also if true, do the same issue also apply to oil fired condensing boilers?

Don't think location would matter in terms of building regs, I have connected condensate pump units, fitted by heating company that have their own level sensor to activate and pump to anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users