Screws For Metal Flush Boxes In Masonry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyphagon

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any regulations on what material or type of screw to use. I heard somewhere you should use countersunk. Is that true?

Many Thanks,

Dan

There is no regulation, however as all the box's i have ever seen are flat metal plate you should really be using a roundhead. This is also to stop cables snagging on the head. Apart from about the time  when i did my apprenticeship a  long long time ago i have never seen anyone use anything other than countersunk

The material, well metal . What else were you thinking of ?

Do you mean the galvanised back boxes? I do like to see black "Jappaned" round head screws with the slots in line..........proper old school IMHO..........but a csk "gold screw" from the trade case works too!  :coat

Thats the logic I had. I suppose countersunk are just far more commonly available.

I was just wondering what coating was best: bright zinc plated, brass etc..

Thinking of getting these: screwfix. com/p/prodrive-flange-self-tappers-6-x-1-pack-of-100/85188

Cheers for you reply.

Dan

Back in the good old days sparkys always carried a box of 1 1/2 No8  blackjap roundheads and  a box of 1 1/2  No8 countersunk woodscrews. Those old woodscrews had slotted heads with sharp edges, it was very easy to catch cables (and your fingers) on them. Nowadays the typical countersunk screw is crosshead with rounded edge . Any engineer will (well should) say  use a roundhead screw/bolt on a flat surface. I think all screws are plated in someway now.

Use a mix of round head, half round head, and countersunk, in slotted, pozi and phillips variants when fixing any object to any surface, just like the eejit that worked on EVERYTHING in my house before I bought it.  

Use a mix of round head, half round head, and countersunk, in slotted, pozi and phillips variants when fixing any object to any surface, just like the eejit that worked on EVERYTHING in my house before I bought it.  
did he bury J-Bs in the wall wrapped in newspaper too.??????   :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.