The Cdm Regulations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technician

Reaction score
Some of you may be involved in this lot but the HSE plus what

masquerades as government are proposing "wholesale" changes

to these regulations.

I was handed a magazine yesterday and I read the article.  I can

quote from one of the paragraphs;

"Putting aside any issues about retention of the CDM coordinator

role and the name change to Principal Designer,  if the people who

work with CDM day in and day out believe CDM 2007 is not broken

and only needs tweaking to avoid under implementation of the European

Directive why do government & the HSE think ...( I paraphrase from here)

that it needs wholesale change when it has been so successful in

putting Britain at the top of the league in construction safety?"

People in suits telling you what's dangerous and what's not, like 2 Tread Steps must have a hand rail, or block pavers  must wear hard hats and high viz vests laying blocks when all that's above them is the sky.

I had a run in with a HS guy the other week. He walked into the house as I was chopping out for the cooker back box, well he tore shreads off me for not having a dust mask, ear defenders and googles on. So after I dusted myself down I politely asked why he was a hypocrite? He looked at me perplexed as I politely reminded him that he'd entered a property under construction and was subject to the same HS requirements as I was yet he had none of the aforementioned.

Don't think I scored any brownie points that day!!!

Still he quietened down.

There are plans to change the CDM regulations, even to the point of calling them something entirely different. However this is still in the consultation stage and people can put their say towards what will eventually happen. I am a member of CIBSE so we get all kinds of email notifications about this.

I have not taken any notice of them to be honest as I believe what will happen will happen regardless.

if I find any info of any use I will post it up.

well he tore shreads off me for not having a dust mask, ear defenders and googles on.
I think Sidewinder has had a go at this before. 

With that lot on your communications with others

would be impaired.  PPE should be a last resort

& not a first.