Dimmer Switch Problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymm

Reaction score
I have a 2 gang, 2-way, 2X300W dimmer. This is a replacement for exactly the same model originally fitted - Varilight ISP302. The original worked correctly for approximately six years before failing. I have replaced the dimmer. Each on/off switch controls 3 lights (3x50w) so 300w in total. When I press button 1 there is an audible buzz. When you turn the lights to full power, this bank of lights goes out. If you reduce the power the bank of lights will stay on. With button 2, the audible buzz is less when you put the lights on at fully power  but this bank of lights will then flicker.

Any ideas?

Are they LED lamps ?

Probably not as you have 300w

On each 'module', have you connected one cable to the C terminal and the other cable on each to either L1 or L2 ? Are you using them as 1 way switches ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dimmers have a maximum AND a minimum power rating....

What is the minimum load that your dimmer can operate???

I assume these are GU10 halogen lamps....

Are they 50w lamps... no 35w been snuck in there so wattage is lower than you think???

Any cheap supermarket or pound shop lamps been used and blown damaging the dimmer..??

Or are they 12v lamps...

have you got a dodgy transformer..?

What actual current is drawn  (& thus power with quick bit of maths) if you just stick a normal switch in?

Has this dimmer never worked..

or worked then failed..

still under warantee...

get replacement maybe????

oh...

forgot to say..

welcome to the mad house...

we will Not tell you anymore until you buy a round of these..

Guinness   Guinness

(Steptoe only accepts crates or barrels not pints!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The way i read the post,  the old dimmer gave up and he got a new one, the new one is as described (making noises) 

sparkymm, this new dimmer is it exactly the same make / model as the one you have taken out?

Also what happens if you use a normal on / off switch ? 

What actual current is drawn  (& thus power with quick bit of maths) if you just stick a normal switch in?
The way i read the post,  the old dimmer gave up and he got a new one, the new one is as described (making noises) 

sparkymm, this new dimmer is it exactly the same make / model as the one you have taken out?

Also what happens if you use a normal on / off switch ? 
I did assume the same ...

But asked for clarification anyway....

Also I already asked about normal switch.. ;)

I did assume the same ...

But asked for clarification anyway....

Also I already asked about normal switch.. ;)
Sorry, that is not the way it comes across. particularly when you consider the OP is not an electrician and you are.  :Applaud

The above reads that you are more interested in how much current is being drawn IF a normal switch is being used,   which to joe public is confusing :pray    not as I asked "what happens if you use a normal on / off switch" 

But who ever is right :Salute  , we will not know until the OP replies.