Assesment At 1Pm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That means I must be due mine soon.

Have to admit I thought it was due back in June  :C

As you say the whole assessment part P thing is becoming a bore, especially seen as it isn't policed or even adhered to by a larger majority these days (so it seems)

That's it for another year or so now...

Discussed

AMD3

Metal enclosures

Reduced Zs values

Cables in escape routes

Also had a RCD fail on my builders board :(

and a few more inconsequential bits

Must be due mine soon hence the following questions.

AMD3.......why do NICEIC what to know about quad core, should I change my lappy?

Metal enclosures...........Ahha I'm safe here , after being picked up on my last assessment I've moved from wood back boxes to metal ones.

ZS values...............Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrm another new thing post last assessment I presume?

Cables in escape routes..............Ok I will be serious here, did he say anything about domestic installations with regards to escape routes & cabling?

RCD failure  in a board builder.................tell a filthy joke that'll liven a bored builder up. (serious again, had the same on a cu last assessment gave it 3 goes all fail, asked what do you do now "I change the MFT and test again, if it still fails I change the RCD" mine was the Megger MFT at fault)

Sorry Noz forgot to say well done for getting through it again mate.

Yes , I passed thanks

1. He was going on about non flammable enclosures and the possible change to metal, I asked him "what about external enclosures? Can't use metal there!" So we may have plastic, but they must pass the 900 odd degree wire test

2. Lowered Zs values.... Possibly being lowered due to lower acceptable supply voltages... Possibly dropping to 95% (calculated to 220V instead of 230V)

3. Cables in escape routes will need to be supported by fire resistant fixings.. this will only apply to surface mounted cables and will probably not apply in domestic settings.. Cables in trunking will also need to be clipped.... I think we'll be going back to buckle clips :eek:

The RCD wasn't a problem,,, it wouldn't trip so it failed, I did get it to pass eventually but if it fails once it's going in the bin

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about it, does it really matter if an external plastic box burns? It's external.

Oh and well done on proving that you're still capable of doing what you've been doing for another year!!!!! :Applaud

That means I must be due mine soon.

Have to admit I thought it was due back in June  :C

As you say the whole assessment part P thing is becoming a bore, especially seen as it isn't policed or even adhered to by a larger majority these days (so it seems)
.....becoming a bore is an understatement M107    ( Can I call you 07 for short?)  But of course they now have some new ammendments to trip us up with .   Thats if the assessor who came last time is anything to go by .   

OK  come and check the recalibs.  The PI insurance , all the other stuff but   1)   Don't bloody well lecture me on how to safely isolate a cicuit when I've been in the trade since before England won the Soccer World Cup . And (2)    Don't keep asking questions until eventually I don't know the answer because I don't carry it all around in my head but merely look it up as and when I need to .   (3)  Don't keep me fannying about for 6 bleedin' hours showing me how clever you are because I for one am pissed off with it all  ........cash the cheque and leave me alone until next year ...I've done the apprenticship ... I.ve worked in industry , commercially , overhead cranes,  house bashing ... conduit bashing ...pyro bashing ...SWA bashing ..control panels....    Approved Elect.... chargehand...forman .... Supervisor/ estimator...and  the last 20 yrs self employed  and I just don't need this ballcocks every year .

What flavour biscuits did you have?
I offered Ginger nuts and Chocolate digestives,,, but he would only have if I was... I don't eat biscuits anymore :( so he declined

I also don't eat crisps, chocolate, white bread, pop......TBH its working well, I've lost just over 2 stone in about 4 months (without exercising)

Canoeboy said:
Good thinking 

Do you know a good one ?

Link would be nice ?

Will i get any stick ?
FFS how many times do you have to be told BY PEOPLE WITH FAR LESS EXPERIENCE THAN YOU!.........it is a TWIG

T.....W......I.....G. TWIG, ok ? Not a stick

Oh and it will fail if there is no poxy little label next to it......No matter how good the job is

Just saying

"Will you get any stick"???? :slap :slap :slap

What you`re unlikely to get is any of the bread & butter - that`ll have all been had!!!!!

You`ll probably be told you`re doing it wrong - just like an assessment.

They might ask you to donate - similar to an assessment.

There`ll be someone with less knowledge & experience, telling you how to suck eggs - like an assessment.

If nowt else - it`ll be good practice for your assessment(s) 

Feel better now deke?

Yes thank you Sharpie ...just had enough of it ...  bloody well checking the serial numbers on my testers against the recalib certs should have pre-warned me I guess.

So about the tunnels!

Thankfully I'm working on my side of City so unlike last year I'm not taking 2 hrs for an 8 mile journey.