Another Eicr Codeing Issue.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
I've been asked to quote for remedial work that was recommended by A.N. Other on an EICR.

The work is at my local village hall and church.

Both have been given unsatisfactory  reports.

Both premises are TT installations. 

C2 has been given for incorrect earth size conductor to the rod. They are 6mm g/y enclosed in PVC conduit to a nice new earth box. 

C2 has also been given for no voltage label on the distribution board!!

Any comments?

Quote for a thicker earth cable and to stick a label on?

Or just tell them the last tester was a numpty and quote for a re test?

Which do you think will be cheapest?

FFS, seriously.

OK, C1, immediate danger to life, possibility of direct contact with live energised parts, e.g. (NOT exhaustive) missing blank in a CU, you can stick your finger in, no matter how dumb, and touch a live part, busbar finger and kill yourself.

C2, a dangerous situation that requires 2 things to go wrong to cause a dangerous situation.

Again, not exhaustive, e.g. no earthing conductor on a property. Thus the EFLI is excessive and ADS will not occur, as there is no direct earth.

However, for this to be lethal, another fault (that's 2 in total) must occur for it to be lethal or dangerous.

When the install has no faults, there is no immediate danger, or hazard that could kill or injure.

C3, not compliant and should be improved, e.g. earthing conductor too small, no labelling etc. No real and present danger in the event of a fault, but, could do with bringing up to current standards to ensure that the installation remains totally safe.

So, what is the Ze for the TT install, does the fault current require an earthing conductor greater than 6mm sq?

If not, it will probably be cheaper to do the calc, prove it, do a test to confirm and give the client paperwork to show the original report is rubbish and go from there.

I would add to that report something along the lines of my opening paragraphs, and advise the client that they use competent contractors as required under statute law, and that there is nothing wring with the installation, but, the work that you have done in proving so, is cheaper than doing the physical work, and give them something to say that this is so.

Muppets like this must be discredited.

At  ELEX  Cov  this year I paused a moment to listen to the IET    Q & A  , didn't hear the question  but the answer was......  " I must be honest , if I came upon a socket showing wrong polarity  I'd probably correct it  than worry about what code to use etc.   By the time you wrote it out you could correct it ..job done . "

Sounded sensible to me if its only the one ...we often do various small items ..blanks etc  ...stick a couple of quid on the bill.

when I do eicr/pir I tell the client that may be why Im £20 more than Bob, cos I'll stick an earth label on/or insert a blank/or a grommet, rather than code it,

or check the connections at the socket, only if its something more indepth will he get a repair bill, or an unsatisfactory.

well we all know flukes are not worthy of living in their own box... or do you keep yours in a megger box, just to try and fool people?
Mine certainly wasnt yesterday! It nearly spent the night out in the cold but that wouldn't have done it much good either.

Doubt a fat American fluke would fit in slim Chinese megger case ;)

I concur with all your comments.

In this instance could have used 2.5mm earth conductor as per Table4.4(ii) Page 41 Osg

Perhaps you ought take a screen shot of this page and attach it to you comments, it will verify that you aren't trying it on? And that they've been duped by a phoney spark.

Latest posts