Interesting Bt Landline Fault Repair.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't even know we had a fault.

But I was having trouble dialling a particular number. When I dialled it, I got silence. No ring tone, no unobtainable or other fault.  then Mrs PD found the same dialling a different number.

So I phoned faults, expecting to report or question a fault on the line I was dialling. But I never actually got to speak to anybody.

Instead I get a completely automated service, which then told me to hang up while they test the line. It then called back to say we have found the fault on your line and took alternative contact details to update me on the fault repair.

2 days later Open Reach attend. Open up the nearest junction box and test it with his pinger and determine the fault is up the road, but that junction box is in the road so needs traffic lights.

Today was traffic light day.  He was here all day.  No fault found in that junction box either so he's been digging up the grass verge and identified a 35 metre length of "damaged" cable that he needs to replace. He will be back on Thursday as that's a 2 man job to pull a new length of cable in.

Not bad service for a fault I never knew I had. It just makes me think if I had still been with Talk Talk they would insist until hell froze over that there was no fault and they don't need to do anything.

It's not talk talks wires. ;)

I think BT charge ISP's a bomb to attend so they avoid it like the plague! Should have got Kerching up he would have found the fault in seconds ;)

Bt are pretty good really, Open reach can be hit n miss and the other subbies are a bit poop.

If you need to get somewhere quick just follow an openreach van ;)

Even more off topic I saw a traffic warden today asking a BT guy if it was okay to ticket his van the BT guy just shrugged and walked off :slap

BT (Openreach) once cured a fault I did not know I had.

They knew before I did, a BT bod knocked on the door and asked me to try my phone, dead as a do do. He said thought so, we will have it back on few in a few hours, they did. he later told me it was some other people digging up the road that severed a major phone cable.

Not bad service for a fault I never knew I had. It just makes me think if I had still been with Talk Talk they would insist until hell froze over that there was no fault and they don't need to do anything.
i had to phone talktalk the other day - internet stopped working. probably the most helpful help line i have phoned in a long time...got straight through to someone British, after a few questions he knew exactly what the problem was (modem had reset its-self and needed username & password put in, hidden in the settings. and i didnt know username or password either). less than 10 minutes later all sorted and working again...

As said before........Talk,Talk,etc use any excuse NOT to,report a fault. They tell,you,they have tested the line and it is fine.

99% of the time this is bollox....the other 1% is just a random error.

I have the same test kit as BT/Openreach......JDSU HST3000C......it,is the Dogs Back,Wheels. F expensive though-but!

Nice to prove to my clients that the problem is External......and tell them where it is!

i had to phone talktalk the other day - internet stopped working. probably the most helpful help line i have phoned in a long time...got straight through to someone British, after a few questions he knew exactly what the problem was (modem had reset its-self and needed username & password put in, hidden in the settings. and i didnt know username or password either). less than 10 minutes later all sorted and working again...
are you with business Andy?

i was about to leave them earlier this year and when i got someone sensible that could actually reason as to why I was leaving he convinced me to go business,

works out cheaper and loads better service,

and, apparently, I dont get my BB choked at peak times or at all, they take my speed off domestic if the network gets busy,

as I said before, I D/L'd a 600G file and my speed never altered at all.

Im just needing some time to ring them and get the next service up tbh, Im chuffed so far with what they can give me for the price.

As said before........Talk,Talk,etc use any excuse NOT to,report a fault. They tell,you,they have tested the line and it is fine.

99% of the time this is bollox....the other 1% is just a random error.

I have the same test kit as BT/Openreach......JDSU HST3000C......it,is the Dogs Back,Wheels. F expensive though-but!

Nice to prove to my clients that the problem is External......and tell them where it is!

Has yours got the built in web browser? 

Just envious as all I've got is an argos valu phone and 17070 :slap

Has yours got the built in web browser? 

Just envious as all I've got is an argos valu phone and 17070 :slap
Yep

Web browser

Full,TDR

Distance to,fault

AB earth faulting

V A Res

butt set

3 sims

And a LOAD of stuff/functions that I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT They Are for, but I am learning slowly

It is a PITA since they took most of the options off 17070 and now only send the results to the BT Engs mobile

( i actually have 2 HSTs!..........long story).....I,always like to have a backup,plan......albeit a F expensive one!!