Bt Home Hub 3 - Do They Die Slowly?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started off with the BT Home Hub 3 Model A worked AOK for a good while - it's on ADSL btw. My father then upgraded his BT package and so I acquired his old Home Hub 3 Model B. Paired the two up with the B as the main hub and the A connected to it via Cat-5 to extend wireless coverage in the house. Great to start off with & this set up eventually started to play up.

So..........went back to the Model A. My sons gaming pc hard wired to it and all other pcs connected wireless - generally  one desktop and a laptop. This rapidly went downhill dropping out on both wired and wireless. Tried changing channels etc for the wireless but made no difference.

So..........mentioned to my nephew who's now on Sky and he's given me his old Home Hub 3 Model A. I'm on it now with no dropping out etc on wireless or wired. Saying that I've got 2 sometimes 3 bars (out of 4) on the lappy signal and the router is about 20' feet away! Never get the 4 bars. He hadn't used it for over a year.

Sitting here watching BT plug their latest router on the telly and I got to wondering...........do BT etc somehow slow their old routers to encourage you to buy a new one or have I been listening to too many conspiracy theories?

funnily enough,

i was on phone to tgalktalk yesterday about upgrading my package,

and the guy said they had a new type router for fibre that theyd send me if I went that way,

I asked was it actually any better as I have 4 of their routers in the loft, they work for about a month then start needing rebooted,

so i was using my own router,

he checked his side and reckons Ive never been sent a router with business settings on it,

told me to dig one out, set it up, and update it, try it and see if it was any better,

if not, ring them back and complain,

Im going to try that later, setting up a router that is, not complaining, that can wait til the weekend, :slap

I'll say this about talktalk, their business service is great, UK call centres with native English speakers in them.  :D

i got a new router from talktalk the other week - built in ADSL modem & WAN / fibre port.

existing works perfectly fine, so new one is still sitting in its box on a shelf as a spare... one day i might swap them

Are you on fibre Andy,?

I'm on normal and getting speeds of about 4, they say I should get 7,

On fibre they are telling me 17, just wondering what iD really get. 

Just had BT Infinity Business installed, typically get 40 down 10 up using Draytek 2860Vn+, dumped the BT Business Hub 5 within hours of getting online.

So................ditching the BT router and getting something better would really make a difference? Just done Speedtest.net and returned 6.35Mbps down & 0.84Mbps up. No fibre or any chance of getting it. At the end of a long old copper line. 

(No cable, gas or main drainage either tbh!)

EDIT: Just tried the other local host and returned 8.08Mbps down???

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to pick a remote server, not hosted by your isp, or their provider, and stick with it really to get true figures.

Last edited by a moderator: