Transmission Voltages...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haaku

Reaction score
Good evening,

can anyone please tell me whether those stated transmission voltages like 110kV, 330kV etc are phase to phase or phase to ground? And how do i figure that out?

Thank you.

Thank you for your response, though sorry i think i wasn't very clear with my question or did you mean that voltages of three phase systems are always given as phase to phase?

Let's say we have a power line with phase to ground voltage of 220V, then a phase to phase voltage for this line would be 220V*1.73=380V.  If 110kV is phase to ground(but i don't know if it is) then phase to phase would be 110kV*1.73=190kV if it's phase to phase then phase to ground would be 110kV/1.73=63kV. So i want to know if this 110kV means phase to ground or phase to phase, because it makes a huge difference in calculations:). Thank you.

Its phase to phase mate   .  But I think theres only one person on here who works at voltages above 415V .        Why do you need to know about the grid ?  

I notice you describe Earth  as Ground  , why would you do that . ?

Well this "earth as ground" thing is probably because I have been reading mainly American literature though i'm neither American nor British:) I asked this question because i study (at a college) electrical engineering (high voltage systems - generation, transmission, distribution and so on). And as funny as it sounds i wasn't sure which voltage is given by default. Anyways, problem solved. Thank you for your responses.

There's a clue. Look at any high voltage transmission line. How many conductors do you see?

Yes three.  There's no neutral. Delta wound transformer at each end so there is no star point, so it must be phase to phase voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.