5 Day Wonders ........yes Again !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make no apology for returning to this subject , as it was brought back to  mind this morning when a plumber of great verbosity appeared for an hour .

He was one of The Ancients , like myself  and wittered on that he was fed up of all the courses and attending skill assessments at colleges on gas fires...cookers ..gas meters .etc etc   Then mentioned he was qualified for "Part P"   .

"Is that the Limited Scope thing , for doing boiler electrics ?"     Says I .

"No I did the 5 day course Part P  and  I'm an electrician now as well as a plumber "    Says he . 

The empty space above is me being speechless.   :C   

:eek:   My thoughts too .     I just don't get it , I really don't .     Didn't that Parliametary Special Committee  comment on the trade's use of the phrase  5 Week Wonders ........   I'm talking about a 5 Day Wonder .   

I said to the plumber "  Well I couldn't learn to be a plumber in 5 days "         He says  " No 'course yer can't "   :C

:eek:   My thoughts too .     I just don't get it , I really don't .     Didn't that Parliametary Special Committee  comment on the trade's use of the phrase  5 Week Wonders ........   I'm talking about a 5 Day Wonder .   

I said to the plumber "  Well I couldn't learn to be a plumber in 5 days "         He says  " No 'course yer can't "   :C
5 day plumbing course? erm... what do you do from 9.05 on the first day? sit around the rest of the week?

I met a '5 day wonder' recently and asked him how he was getting on. Yes I'm doing part P work now he told me, and I'm busy.Then he added, ' NAPIT wouldn't accept me but ELECSA did'. He knows I am a full scope member of NAPIT (he didn't have sufficient qualifications or experience for NAPIT membership).

A little while later,I went to a rented flat to carry out pat testing for the landlord. The landlord mentioned that this particular 'wonder' had visited the flat the year before to carry out the pat testing.

There were four appliances which needed testing. It was interesting to note that the only appliance tested was the washing machine which was connected via a standard 13 A plug. He had not tested any of the equipment connected via fuse spurs. I don't know what he charged the landlord or if he gave him any paperwork,but there was just one green sticker. Obviously this 'wonder' at least needs to learn a little more before being let loose on the unsuspecting public !!!

I would really love to be a fly on the wall when he tackles a tackles a condition report and finds a circuit with low insulation resistance, or gets called out to a property with a neutral to earth fault which is keeping the rcd main switch off !

I would really love to be a fly on the wall when he tackles a tackles a condition report and finds a circuit with low insulation resistance,
probably thinks his tester is faulty because its never gave that reading before, so just note it at its usual value.

thats assuming he actually uses it anyway

I met a '5 day wonder' recently and asked him how he was getting on. Yes I'm doing part P work now he told me, and I'm busy.Then he added, ' NAPIT wouldn't accept me but ELECSA did'. He knows I am a full scope member of NAPIT (he didn't have sufficient qualifications or experience for NAPIT membership).

A little while later,I went to a rented flat to carry out pat testing for the landlord. The landlord mentioned that this particular 'wonder' had visited the flat the year before to carry out the pat testing.

There were four appliances which needed testing. It was interesting to note that the only appliance tested was the washing machine which was connected via a standard 13 A plug. He had not tested any of the equipment connected via fuse spurs. I don't know what he charged the landlord or if he gave him any paperwork,but there was just one green sticker. Obviously this 'wonder' at least needs to learn a little more before being let loose on the unsuspecting public !!!

I would really love to be a fly on the wall when he tackles a tackles a condition report and finds a circuit with low insulation resistance, or gets called out to a property with a neutral to earth fault which is keeping the rcd main switch off !
If its connected to a Fused Spur is a Portable Appliance or is it a Fixed Appliance

Befor the Part-P would the plumber have done the electrical anyway.

My experience is that before the big P anyone would have a go at electrics. Since the P less people have a go and likes of the plumber at least have some limited training.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Before the P did everyone say I won't touch electrics as I haven't don't a 5 year apprenticeship.

Totally agree Pewter, but as few ever seem to quite get prosecuted, I have noticed more and more builders tackling electrical jobs again.

As discussed many times before, it should be you are qualified or not, and no trading as any trade unless qualified and trained properly.