National Crime Prevention Team

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Don't know if it is a scam, but going on past calls of this type I suspect it is (nearly caught me off guard as it wasn't the usual Scouse bloke or Newport bird, not that I have anything against such individuals but the one time I did get info from her she said it was always raining in Newport where she was).

Had a call not 10 mins ago from "Robert" of the National Crime Prevention Team who kindly informed me I had been recommended by my customers to be approached by the "NCPT" as they are locally undertaking a police operation to clamp down on Rogue traders in my area.

He went on how "we" have to get rid of these cowboys & how "I'm sure you'll have had them under cut you in price" also how it will make the "elderly & vulnerable a little safer"

(I still hadn't managed to get a word in edge ways)

His team upstairs had done all the checks & had called my customers & done back ground checks on me & my company so were more than happy I wasn't a cowboy/Rogue trader.

(I did manage a few words here......."nice to know I'm not a cowboy")

So the catch?................... yes that's right I just need to sign up to be in the booklet that's going out to homes across Berkshire & make a payment, for this I will be the only "NCPT" recommended electrician in my area.

At this point I asked a few questions (ok thought I'd have some fun seen as the phone was on speaker in the office):

"Will you be targeting the 5WW's?

Oh right only if they have been reported

How about the companies that give the 5WW's the false belief they are electricians, surely they can be done under some miss-selling/trades description law?

No I suppose your right they are not likely to be knocking on doors as a trader.

Come on then who locally to me is on the naught boy register?

Awww come on don't be shy...................I'm a doctor you know you can tell me anything.

No your right I'm not a doctor................. how about a police man?

How do you know I'm not.............I could be.

No I can let the car siren off, I'll be in trouble if I do that. Come on just one company who is under investigation.

I don't believe you are who you say you are either then, if that's the way you want to play it."

Now I know most here know I do in fact have access to vehicles with sirens on & Roberto was back on to how I would be the only one in my area to get all this wonderful work for a small £250 knock down fee so I had to butt in with...................

Sorry Rob I've gotta go & pushed the little button in the freelander that said 2tone wailers.....................................

I think he must have dropped the phone because he wasn't there when I said its ok the job was a false alarm.

Now I'm not connected in anyway to the police, but sirens we do have

It is the same as the Fire Brigade Log Book a few years ago!

It WAS approved by Trumpton as they had been promised a percentage of the advertising revenue for the Trumpton Charity. however Trumpton had NO interest in carrying it around on the Appliances and distributing them to Hotels and Nursing Homes etc.

Result? None were given out, NOBODY saw the Ads, money wasted.

We sent one of our "larger and less tolerant" members of Staff around to their premises, which unluckily for them was very local.

total scam, same old ****, slightly different approach, getting a few of these lately.

With advertising, if you have never heard of the publication / seen it pushed through your letterbox / found it on Google, then the chances are your customers haven't either, and any money spent is a waste, even if the publication isn't a scam.