Clever People - Vpn For Idiot (Me!)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I`ve set up the lappie as a VPN server, under windoze 7.

I`m trying to configure the ipad to connect to it, so I can access stuff from client`s wifi.

But none of the settings in the vpn menu on the ipad look remotely like the settings I had from windoze.

Am I flogging a dead horse here, or can  one of you clever peeps explain this please?

Ta 

Canoeboy said:
D'you know how bleedin' helpful you can fail to be?

Constructive assistance would be good........

(Mind you, so would suggestions wrt my raid drive) , so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Thank you all. Most helpful :coat

You'lll have to set it up in your router also.

You'll need a static ip in the laptop.

Unless you have a static ip on your external connection you'll neext to get a dynamic dns thing setup.

Your router is better as the vpn server really.

Lappie has a static ( as does everything in the premises).

The rest of it - I wouldn`t have a clue how to set the router up as the server - so I`ll forget the idea. It looked fairly straightforward on the googled sites - but obviously not as easy as they`d like you to think; or I`m getting stupid in my old age!

Internal static IP's are fine, but you can't access them from outside.

You need to set up port forwarding and stuff, and you will need a public static ip also.

The rest of my reply has been lost in the ether, you know why.
Getting fed up now.

get a synology and its very simple. still need port forward and static IP, or remember your dynamic may change and you need to remember a new one. i know my dynamic IP at home hasnt changed for over a year

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts