Regulation Numbering

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just a quick question for all the eagle eyed ones among you.

The new BYB mentions this 100 and 200 numbering system.  100s are for CENELEC documents and 200s are for UK only.  I can see 200s here and there but no 100s.... Can anyone spot one?

Yes Kerching...

So where are the 100s which are now listed as CENELEC regulations

Sorry but wasn't the whole reason for the major update due to this Cenelec regulations? I'm sure there was a video of Mr Coles of the IET expressing the significance of the Cenelec regs running parallel to ours? Now you say that there is no reference in the BYB?

Doc,

The only .100 series regulations in Amd3 I can find via the search facility in the electronic regs are in Part 7, Section 722.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Sharp,

This is all driven by the IEC.

Standard regulations are IEC driven and are common to all IEC countries. Believe it or not!

CENELEC then are the next in the pecking order, so anything that they want to change/add is not an IEC reg, but a CENELEC only one, hence the 100 numbering.

Next are National regulations, i.e. specific to the UK in our case, these are now given 200 numbering.

These are specifically created by JPEL64.

There would ONLY be a reference if it was a CENELC ONLY reg, not one which has been adopted by the IEC.

Sidey thanks for the explanation, but why is it so many entities have an input to our national regs? Particularly if the other entities regs are not relevant to all other nations involved?

Why can't our regs be just that our regs? Afterall our regs relate to fixed installations within our country? Or am I totally misunderstood?

"We" as a country have "signed up" to the IEC.

Thus we have to abide by the International Electrotechincal Committee codes.

In the EU area these are delegated to CENELEC.

Then in the UK, CENELEC delegate these to the IET/BSI.

However, upward compliance is required.

It is all to do with global standardisation.

Also the speed of technological change has a big impact.

Doc,

The only .100 series regulations in Amd3 I can find via the search facility in the electronic regs are in Part 7, Section 722.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Sharp,

This is all driven by the IEC.

Standard regulations are IEC driven and are common to all IEC countries. Believe it or not!

CENELEC then are the next in the pecking order, so anything that they want to change/add is not an IEC reg, but a CENELEC only one, hence the 100 numbering.

Next are National regulations, i.e. specific to the UK in our case, these are now given 200 numbering.

These are specifically created by JPEL64.

There would ONLY be a reference if it was a CENELC ONLY reg, not one which has been adopted by the IEC.
Cheers Paul,

The electronic version is good for something then  :Applaud