Diy Lightbox

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste_wilko

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with advice for a little project that I want to create.

I want to make a DIY lightbox. The box will contain to ordinary household style light bulbs via tabletop lamp fittings. To keep it cool I want to include two standard PC cooling fans, one as an inlet to draw air in and one exhausting.

My question really is what do I need to do so that lamps and fans can be wired to a standard 13 amp(?) UK mains plug?

I have no electrical experience so an Idiots guide would be much appreciated thanks!

Traditionally light boxes were made with flourescent tubes, not ordinary fillament lamps, but as suggested try some LED flat panel lamps instead.

How big were you thinking? If you look on the net then you can buy them for not a lot of money. I like making things, but I'm not convinced it would be worth it.

I have some fluorescent tubes lying around actually so I could just use them. Would the wiring be pretty simple?

It's going to be a gift for an artist friend of mine and I'd like to make it personal to some of their favourite things.

I was thinking of using wood for the design.

I don't have a sketch of the idea yet but I can draw one up and attach it later

cooling fans may drive you around the twist - noise. if your box has ventilation top and bottom it should self regulate. As suggested LED may well be the way forward, apart from the fact you can get them to change colours and be 'pretty' the only 230V wiring is stright to the transformer for the LED driver and many of those can be bought as 'plug and play'. All you need to do then is decide how bright and order a suitable length of LED strip like the one below-

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights/plug-and-play-non-waterproof-led-strip-lighting-kit-1-metre-roll.html

Last edited by a moderator:
cooling fans may drive you around the twist - noise. if your box has ventilation top and bottom it should self regulate. As suggested LED may well be the way forward, apart from the fact you can get them to change colours and be 'pretty' the only 230V wiring is stright to the transformer for the LED driver and many of those can be bought as 'plug and play'. All you need to do then is decide how bright and order a suitable length of LED strip like the one below-
Yeah, noise from the fans was a consideration of mine but I was contemplating the possibility of getting some uber quiet ones. I like the idea of those LEDs I'll have a closer look at getting some of them