Swa Through A Wall...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Might sound like a daft question!!!!

Say you wanted to run a SWA cable up an external wall and then through it. Easiest way would be a plastic IP rated box, a CW gland into it, and a "piranha" or similar earth nut on inside to take care of the armour CPC continuity etc etc.

But say you did not want to use a plastic box??? An ordinary galv adaptable one would not fill up with water, because it would leak out as quickly as it filled up, but not good!!!!

So, how did you do it years ago before plastic boxes??? A one way conduit box with a hole drilled in the back and a bit of conduit through the wall i suppose...

What is/was the proper way to do it???

john..

Not sure what the "Proper" way is Apprenti  .     You don't say what this SWA is for .    Once you make it off into a box you have to go with conduit  to sheath the cable . 

I'm just thinking in terms of the armoured straight through the wall and into whatever its feeding .  

Or make off into box...connectors ...change to Twin/E  to enter the building .........or conduit if its industrial .

Metal boxes with gaskets were used until plastic became widespread.  

We've done shower supplies in the past in SWA  when you can't damage the decor , get the floors up or whatever.   Armoured into the loft space ....AD box with connectors ...  then Twin/E to shower switch .     Same with loft conversions ...armoured up the outside to a sub-board etc. 

I have to go up the wall and then through it. Got to stay close to the wall so i cannot just drill a hole and poke the SWA through. It is 10mm 4 core by the way.

Will only be about a foot above ground, so i do not want to use a plastic one in case of damage to it. I was thinking an ordinary galv adaptable box, but they are not exactly IP rated..

Hi Andy. Is that what you use outside?? an adaptable box?? If you do, then it is good enough for me!!

I was thinking a one way proper galv conduit box with a hole drilled in the back would look tidy, and a bit of conduit held in there with a bush, through the wall, into an adaptable box and there you are!!

Just wanted to know what those with rather more experience/sense!!!! would do!!

john...

Conduit box is a  bit small for a 4c x 10mm , Appretii.    Use a 4 x 4   or 6 x 6 steel AD box , silicon seal round the cover and a drain hole in the bottom .

Or a plastic  IP whatever box  but don't scrimp on the size.    Have a look at the larger Wiska boxes.

But if thats a  TPN supply why not  just take the cable straight through the wall & make off inside. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
i meant galv box as in steel conduit galv box. bit small for a 4c10, even if you used a 25mm

for that size, i cant really think of anytihng other than an IP rated plastic box

I thought a proper conduit box would be a bit tight too! Doable though. The local place to me, the adaptable boxes are right rough.. Have to seal all round the inside joints, never mind the cover.. Going to see if i can get the thing straight through the wall if i can, be a lot simpler, but look a bit messy....

I will have a think, no hurry!!

john...

If the issue is getting a tight bend and keeping the SWA close to the wall, would drilling the hole from the inside at an angle downwards work?  Then you can get a pretty tight bend and keep the SWA tight to the wall.

I like to avoid extra junctions if I can help it.

Yes, i do not like extra junctions.. It is only a temporary thing i am doing, just do not want it to look like a muppet did it.....!!!

I was thinking of an adaptable box filled with that gooey stuff, but seen the price of it. Might just drill a hole and stuff it through and make it off into a box on the inside, be easier!!

I got some aluminium here, i should make a tig welded nice one!! Too cold to fart about though!!

Why is everything cheap plastic crap though. A proper cast iron box with a proper gasket and a lid and a threaded entry on the back, that is what is needed. Not like people hardly ever stick SWA through a wall now is it..

What muppet designs have this modern cheapo crap stuff. Was wiring up a motor starter the other day, awful fiddly. Why they have to make enclosures so small?? they trying to win a prize or something??

john..

Think I've got a couple of large'ish, un-drilled  IP rated aluminium boxes kicking about spare if you want one gratis. You've helped me out in the past etc so no probs. I'll venture out in a sec and have a measure.

EDIT: Got a couple of RS 343-9423. Not as big as I thought  though (125x80x60) but then I've not looked at them in years! Still got the shrink wrap on them. 

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/general-purpose-enclosures/3439423/?searchTerm=343-9423&relevancy-data=636F3D3126696E3D4931384E525353746F636B4E756D6265724D504E266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C26706D3D5E5C647B337D5B5C732D2F255C2E2C5D5C647B332C347D2426706F3D313426736E3D592673743D52535F53544F434B5F4E554D4245522677633D4E4F4E45267573743D3334332D3934323326

You can have one or both. Just PM me your address. Thought I had it somewhere............