New 3 Phase Supply In Small Resteraunt

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

Reaction score
ive been asked to put a new 3 phase supply the board is 45 m from the origin of supply was going to use 16mm 4 core swa with a 10mm seperate earth what kind of currant could i safely pull from this (im domestic and dont have much commercial experience)

Surely even a domestic electrician has to know how to do cable calcs?

OK, another couple of questions.

Why the 10mm earth?

What is the load on the kitchen?

You need to work this the other way.

Start with what you need to supply.

3ph cable designs are no different to single phase in their method.

Sidewinder beat me to it.

You start by working out the load for the installation, then you work out what cable you need to supply that load. My gut feeling is over 45 metres voltage drop will be the deciding factor, not the current carrying capacity of the cable.

thanks for quick reps <i am out n dont have access to me green bible,ithought it was around 50 amps??

Current carrying capacity of 4 core SWA may be between 64 and 83 amps depending on installation method.(table 4D4A)

But that does NOT mean that is the load it can supply in this case, as I have already said I think voltage drop will be the limiting factor.  So work out your load and then see what size cable you need.

Current carrying capacity of 4 core SWA may be between 64 and 83 amps depending on installation method.(table 4D4A)

But that does NOT mean that is the load it can supply in this case, as I have already said I think voltage drop will be the limiting factor.  So work out your load and then see what size cable you need.
thats why he wants 3 phase - you can use a smaller cable. just connect the fryer between phases and you will have 230v

Hi Johno,

Anyone that asks a question like that, plainly has not got a clue.. How do you determine what size cables to use in your domestic installs????

Still, tell us EXACTLY what you want to install, and we will have a go...

You ARE out of your depth here... Is the load a three phase one, or you going to split the phases up.

john..

I think you guys are on to something here, three way stand up comedy brilliant.
:Salute

I think the correct term is "Three Phase Stand Up Comedy!!!"

:slap   ROTFWL

Surely even a domestic electrician has to know how to do cable calcs?

OK, another couple of questions.

Why the 10mm earth?

What is the load on the kitchen?

You need to work this the other way.

Start with what you need to supply.

3ph cable designs are no different to single phase in their method.

Sidewinder beat me to it.

You start by working out the load for the installation, then you work out what cable you need to supply that load. My gut feeling is over 45 metres voltage drop will be the deciding factor, not the current carrying capacity of the cable.

Hi Johno,

Anyone that asks a question like that, plainly has not got a clue.. How do you determine what size cables to use in your domestic installs????

Still, tell us EXACTLY what you want to install, and we will have a go...

You ARE out of your depth here... Is the load a three phase one, or you going to split the phases up.

john..

+1,

+2,

+3,

& +4..

wot they all said!

Guinness   

thanks for quick reps <i am out n dont have access to me green bible,ithought it was around 50 amps??

I believe it could be YELLOW now!

:innocent     ;)