Alarm Mains Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmcclure

Reaction score
Am currently renovating a property and wish to install a wireless burglar alarm.  I like the look of the miGuard G5 (can't post links).

It looks like the control panel is wired via a plugin mains supply.  I don't want this.  

Is it possible to hard wire to the mains via it's own circuit from the fuse board.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

I doubt it... wireless panels are usually wired via a plug in transformer...

Why not install a wired alarm while you're renovating? It'll be a much better product

Last edited by a moderator:
pmcclure, it looks like you are right the alarm panel does have a "plug in supply" (AKA wall wart) There is not much you can do about it, since that is what the panel is designed to work with. You could install a power supply, but it is not worth the hassle.

Also you have to consider that you have to change all of the device batteries, prices of which only go one way, and its not down. Then you have the RF problems to consider.

As you are renovating a building, as said why not install a hard wired alarm as it will be cheaper in the long run and over all far more reliable.

As everyone before has said, why not do,it proprly and hard wire it?

I think the one you are talking about is the same as "one of the shopping channels" has been trying to shift for ages.Now relegated to their "xtra channel" where they pitch everything they have left and have to shorten the recorded sales pitches to fit the available time.

If they cannot shift it then i wouod not hold out much hope,for,it.....unless they bought waaaaaaay too,many

Just cynicising

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention, some of the reviews for the panel say it is too quiet. Also if you buy a "kit" most only come with a dummy external sounder.

Thanks for all the replies.  I like the look of the Texecom Premier Fully Featured Burglar Alarm System / Kit 10.

Is it easy to install myself or is it best left to the electrician (question character on keyboard not working)

Is it also worthwhile buying a system that auto dials you if the alarm sounds

Thanks again

Peter

Is it easy to install myself or is it best left to the electrician (question character on keyboard not working)

It depends how confident you are at installing an alarm. Only you can answer that one.

If you get an alarm that contacts you when it activates what will you do then?

Thanks for all the replies.  I like the look of the Texecom Premier Fully Featured Burglar Alarm System / Kit 10.

Everything is easy if you know how. Why would you leave it to the electrician, why not get an alarm installer to install it, who would also then supply one as well and maintain it.

Depends if you want it to automatically dial you if it sounds.

Everything is easy if you know how. Why would you leave it to the electrician, why not get an alarm installer to install it, who would also then supply one as well and maintain it.
because the electrician probably knows how to install it better than the 'alarm engineer' does?

because the electrician probably knows how to install it better than the 'alarm engineer' does?
I'm not saying that this isn't sometimes true but I was pointing out that asking an electrician to install some crappy alarm you got off QVC is a sure fire way of ending up with a bad job. If you are going to ask someone to install an alarm ask someone who installs alarms. This person may or may not also be an electrician but this is irrelevant.

And I did not say alarm engineer.