Eicr on block of flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my view but, when completing a EICR  on  the communal areas only of a block of flats do you fill out  a domestic or commercial report.

Does it matter if the block is owned wholly by the flat owners or a commercial company.

I'd say that is the defining factor,

If it's owned by a money making enterprise, or not, if it's simply a collective of the flat owners I'd say then it's domestic, if it's a company, then it's commercial. 

To be honest that is a very good question, on the one hand your asked to perform a commercial transaction, on the other that transaction overlaps domestic.

I personally would treat this as a domestic, I find that when doing anything, I always, when unsure, revert to the most stringent rulings.

Wouldn't this depend on how the lease etc is defined  also. Or use of premises. I.e domestic or commercial  that's if it's been notified of change. 

Wouldn't this depend on how the lease etc is defined  also. Or use of premises. I.e domestic or commercial  that's if it's been notified of change. 

Not how i see it. The communal   areas would not have a lease. 

To be honest that is a very good question, on the one hand your asked to perform a commercial transaction, on the other that transaction overlaps domestic.

I personally would treat this as a domestic, I find that when doing anything, I always, when unsure, revert to the most stringent rulings.

Commercial is more stringent than domestic

I'd say that is the defining factor,

If it's owned by a money making enterprise, or not, if it's simply a collective of the flat owners I'd say then it's domestic, if it's a company, then it's commercial. 
95% of times you would not be told this & would not be able to find out.

domestic or commercial report.

Does it matter if the block is owned wholly by the flat owners or a commercial company.
I don't think it matters who you are billing, the communal areas come under Part P so should be domestic afaik.

Working in a flat, it doesn't matter whether the owner is a person or a company, it is still domestic.

Not how i see it. The communal   areas would not have a lease. 

When I do work for LA the flats are treated as domestic, the communal areas as commercial as they fall under the direct responsibility of the LA, general maintenance of the flats is the responsibility of the tenant, being called out to replace damaged switches etc the council would bill the tenant, repairs in the communal areas was at the council's own cost. 

That's how I see it,

Also the same with private apartments I service, if it's a collective of tenants chipping in then I treat it as domestic, if it's a service company then I treat it as commercial, as u am billing a company direct, and not an individual that has been nominated by the collective of occupiers/owners 

How would you know who to bill then,? 

When I do work for LA the flats are treated as domestic, the communal areas as commercial as they fall under the direct responsibility of the LA, general maintenance of the flats is the responsibility of the tenant, being called out to replace damaged switches etc the council would bill the tenant, repairs in the communal areas was at the council's own cost. 

That's how I see it,

Also the same with private apartments I service, if it's a collective of tenants chipping in then I treat it as domestic, if it's a service company then I treat it as commercial, as u am billing a company direct, and not an individual that has been nominated by the collective of occupiers/owners 

How would you know who to bill then,? 
 Most of my work like this comes through agents. I dont know if they own or manage it. Its  common lots of blocks  are wholly owned  by the  flat owners, but they form a ltd company or have to get an agent to manage it because no one there is willing or capable of doing it.

I'd say then it's a commercial transaction, if the agent is managing it.

But, it does seem a minefield, couldn't it be treated similar to a shop where the areas the general public have access to would have RCD protection etc on the general sockets etc,

It wouldn't come under PartP imo though.

Thats what I would call coming to a logical conclusion.

should we start writing the regs!
This is how I think you prove that the brain is in the buttocks not the head as previously indicated. If you work on your feet all day then you are able to make logical conclusions, those that sit on their buttocks all day lose the ability to do so?

I conclude that the brain is under strain from the body mass of desk jockeys whereas it is able to breathe in those that stand. 

Latest posts