Funny subsidy things..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Right, say you got a 35 acre field. You got planning permission for soloar panels ages ago. When have you got to have the thing installed and up and running by to get all the silly subsidies that make it worthwhile?? What I mean is, is there a date after which it would all be pointless. It is not to feed someones house by the way, it is a scheme headed up by hyder apparently..

john..

There is a time limit to planning permission in which the work must have started or else the permission becomes void. I think it's four or five years

The feed in tariff rates just dropped by something like about 50% so it may already be not worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Right, say you got a 35 acre field. You got planning permission for soloar panels ages ago. When have you got to have the thing installed and up and running by to get all the silly subsidies that make it worthwhile?? What I mean is, is there a date after which it would all be pointless. It is not to feed someones house by the way, it is a scheme headed up by hyder apparently..

john..
What could have been done was a 'pre-accreditation' which lasts 1 year and would mean you get the FiT rate, pre slashed by 86%. Pre accreditation last 1 year. Now 35 acres, is solar farm of around 8MW, that might still be viable under the new FiT rates anyway, as you need to be around this size or bigger to benefit from economies of scale and it might just be cost effective. Farms are under ROO_FiT a slightly different scheme, not sure of the details.

Spot of NIMBYism going on John?

Hi Binky,

No, not at all. What it is, is my other half has a rented field that she keeps her stinky horses in. The people that own the field have a field next door, that they are supposed to be having these solar panels put up. I could not care what they do, BUT, they let my other half use this field, they let her spend £700 on fencing it, she put her horses in this field where they promptly contracted strangles, and now they tell her she has to move them as "her" field is to be used as a base fro construction operations. Now this is all very well, it is their field and they can do what they like, but letting someone spend £700 fencing a field when you KNOW that you are going to tell them to move, is not very fair.. It is not the way i wouild choose to conduct my affairs.....

As a matter of interest, say in a field you have an 11kv overhead supply, and then 400 yards away, you have an ordinary supply "out in the street" How long do you think it takes to construct such a solar installation, complete with all its buildings or whatever may be needed, and how does it connect to the mains?? the 11kV or to the LV main in the street??

What is the output of these things?? is it single phase, three phase, 230, 400 or what?? When you say 8Mw do you mean like as in 8,000,000 / 400 / 1.732 = 1154 Amps??? Do not think the 185mm cable in the street will be too pleased with that!!

john..

Well it's her £700 fence, so if she has to move on, she could take the fence down so the next person he leases it to has to pay to fence it.

Offer to leave the fence there for say £500?

8 million watts. Would be connected via 11kV substation to the local 11 kV line if it is suitable. Quite often they run new powerlines over fields to get to a suitable connection. Construction time is around 12-18 weeks on something that size - surprisingly fast. They attacked commercial soalr around June/July last year, so they will have to about that time this year to complete build. Whether the build will go ahead may be down to the result of the appeal:-

http://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/government_justifies_grossly_unfair_early_ro_closure_at_court_of_appeal_140

as for the land owners, I think PD has the right approach, if it isn't intended to let the horses back later. Failing that I would take it down and burn it! I do like to throw my teddies out occasionally :^O