I am confused as to what some people think this means

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
So, I see on a number of peoples profiles it says......"Time Served"....but the questions asked are on a par with the Ladybird series "my first book of electricity"

what do YOU think "Time Served" means.......or what would you expect of someone who claims to be "Time Served"?....and not in a Stuart Hall, Max Clifford, Rolf, Glitter, Archer sort of way!

Time served means you have spent a few years getting very bad pay for doing lots of work the employer is charging a lot of money for.

It means getting treated like poo for many years on building sites by racist, sexist old buggers who have the hump cos there misses is an old bag.

Eventuly you become one of those old buggers and gives you the right to say time served.

rather like doing prison time

Last edited by a moderator:
Time served means you have served a recognised, [by the EITB] indentured, trade apprenticeship, AND passed the relevant written examinations that went with it, AND have the papers to prove it...

END OF.

john...

If we are talking specifically about what that term means on this forum then I would say it is for the older members that qualified for the trade by means of serving their time learning. There is an 'Apprenticeship' experience that you can click if you have served your time AND completed all the examinations required. 

For me 'time served' is a dying term as we now need a much higher bench mark. (I do not consider any short course leaves anyone 'qualified'). 

i see it as spent years learning my trade at the beck and call of 'my spark'

my missus says it does sound like a prison sentence, she hates me telling people I served my time  :slap

so Im time served, on all fronts  ;)

Well for me time served is 2 years full time in a training centre and then 2 years on the job under close supervision moving between different departments with a day and an evening at college.

Once out of my time I wasn't expected to be as quick as I should be but I only got an "allowance" for 2 jobs, the 3rd had to be completed on time

For 2 or 3 years after my apprenticeship I still went to college!!!

However my time served will be different to most of you guys....

Well for me time served is 2 years full time in a training centre and then 2 years on the job under close supervision moving between different departments with a day and an evening at college.

Once out of my time I wasn't expected to be as quick as I should be but I only got an "allowance" for 2 jobs, the 3rd had to be completed on time

For 2 or 3 years after my apprenticeship I still went to college!!!

However my time served will be different to most of you guys....

2 years on the job. I would not say that was time served. My apprenticeship was 5 years and I still knew sweet FA after that. 

Time served for me means an apprenticeship followed by a couple of years under loose supervision followed by all the years between then until today learning from everyone I meet and work alongside, all the extra time spent learning, researching and discussing and of course learning from all the mistakes I have made so far. 

Time served for me means an apprenticeship followed by a couple of years under loose supervision followed by all the years between then until today learning from everyone I meet and work alongside, all the extra time spent learning, researching and discussing and of course learning from all the mistakes I have made so far. 

:vomit

2 years on the job. I would not say that was time served. My apprenticeship was 5 years and I still knew sweet FA after that. 

Hi Essex,,, how can you say that I'm not time served when you know nothing about me or what I did or how my apprenticeship was constructed apart from what I said in the post above

Remember I did allude that my apprenticeship/job may have been a little different to what most of the guys on here have...... it was far, far, far more technical

Hi Essex,,, how can you say that I'm not time served when you know nothing about me or what I did or how my apprenticeship was constructed apart from what I said in the post above

Remember I did allude that my apprenticeship/job may have been a little different to what most of the guys on here have...... it was far, far, far more technical

Absolutely not passing judgement on you nor anyone else. As I said in my earlier post. I consider time served to be for those that trained prior to formal qualifications. 

If you're saying time served is for those "that trained prior to formal qualifications" and that you are time served,,, how old are you??

are all these young lads doing apprenticeships now never going to be time served because of their formal qualifications??

from a personal perspective,

there were formal apprenticeships available when I was 'serving my time'

but, due to the circumstances, and nature of my work, I was unable to follow a college route,

I would have had to change college every 4 or 5 weeks probably,,,  :eek:

I'm not even sure if that would have been possible transferring into and outside the UK,,,,  :|

If you're saying time served is for those "that trained prior to formal qualifications" and that you are time served,,, how old are you??

are all these young lads doing apprenticeships now never going to be time served because of their formal qualifications??

I am not time served. I was trained by means of an apprenticeship. When I trained, there was no 'time' limit that needed to be served in order to be deemed qualified. You were qualified only when you completed your apprenticeship whether that be 4 years (which was the minimum) or 8 years. As are the young lads of today. 

We never had the opportunity of an open ended apprenticeship.... our was a fixed 4 year contract during which we had to get an ONC and be good to go on any equipment we were given as if we got it wrong we could have had things falling out of the sky

Mine was similar to Noz's, 4 years fixed time apprenticeship, had to get an ONC by the end of it or you were out (think there was 6 month grace to allow for a resit) start of the apprenticeship was at a training school where it was multi skilling, bit of turning, milling, welding, bench fitting, conduit, pyro, swa, forge work.

Still think I had a great apprenticeship, annual intake at that time was just above the 100 apprentices per year into the training centre. Big national industry, of course it died a death a couple of years later once the tories started privatising it all.

Very similar,,,, except for the heavy electrical stuff.... mine went the other way (smaller)

more electro, electronic, pneumatic & mechanical engineering

but we did do machine shop and that kind of thing.......Oooh the days of making a square block of metal.... an engineers table, and blue