Plug-in thermostats.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsparks

Reaction score
Have been supplied with a 13A plug-in thermostat to operate an extractor fan in an otherwise unventilated computer server-room.

As far as I have been able to work out, the plug-in stat will only operate a heater, but cannot see how it can switch a cooling fan 

on when room gets too hot. The stat is a "BTSKY" model bought on-line, but info says it will do "heating/cooling". I thought I would need a

stat that turns on when temp. rises, not the other way round. I seem to remember seeing a wall-mounted stat with "two-way" switching

that is double contacts, and you select which one you need, either to heat or to cool.  Does anybody actually make a plug-in cooling stat?

Southsparks.

I've never seen a plug in stat before, :eek:

Most decent stats have dual contacts, honeywell do anyway, 6360 I think is the model,

But, you will need 2 stats, to allow a 'window' between hot and cold,

eg, 18-22 degrees, 

how does it connect? I've only seen the type where it's like a plug in timer where you plug the heater into the front of it. 

If it's that kind then I'd assumed there is a switch on it somewhere to select how the output is controlled

Thanks for replies. Have found that these plug-in stats can indeed be used to either heat or cool, you just have to set correct symbol on its screen, either a "flame" or a "snowflake". Trouble is, I keep getting flame symbol, but unable to get cooling one. Guess its default setting is to heat, as that probably is what most people would want. Have not got instructions. I think device processor may be faulty. It does look like a plug-in timer by appearance, and has been got to make quick & easy connection of ex-fan to local 13A power-point to reduce temp. of server-room. They should really invest in a proper air-con unit really, but presumably money a bit tight these days. Network people seem happy with forced ventilation.

It seems a bit of a daft idea to use a plug in thermostat for this.  Someone has got to drill a hole in the wall for the fan to extract through, so wouldn't it make sense while doing that to hard wire it with a wall mounted thermostat?

Latest posts