Alarm Siren box connected to lighting circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A

Reaction score
Hi All

Need some advice, i am looking to power my burglar alarm siren box by hard wiring to the lighting circuit in the attic. The siren came with a ac/dc 12v plug but i was thinking of spurring off the light, adding a fused spur and then connecting to a 240v to 12v transformer (cutting the plug off and using the wire to connect to the transformer).

Is this at all doable? or just a recipe for disaster. Is there any other way i could get around connecting the siren box? I want to avoid running wires down the front of the house and also drilling into the bedroom to plug into a socket. The attic seems the most effective way 

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated 

A

Hi, thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention it's a wireless alarm system

then a suitable fused spur from lighting circuit as you describe would be adequate. you could just fit a socket and plug it in, but mark the socket as being for transformer only and connected to lighting circuit

Thanks Andy, that's an idea actually. Would I be able to wire the socket on a 1.5mm cable? As far as I understand only a 2.5 should be used on sockets but not sure how that would work off a lighting circuit using 1.5 cable. I could possibly run a 2.5mm up the hollow wall from the bedroom sockets and spur off that too

no mention of a step by step, perhaps you should go read back what I wrote before commenting 

ha! Doesn't seem like a step by step to me. Not like I'm asking to re-wire my house is it. But anyways thanks for your 2cents 

ha! Doesn't seem like a step by step to me. Not like I'm asking to re-wire my house is it. But anyways thanks for your 2cents 
No but the factyour asking wether a supply can be takenfrom where you want shows little knowledge wether something is safe or not (shakes head)