Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary77

Reaction score
Hi all, I put the washing machine on today. I went to empty it but I found it was still full of water(half of it ended on the floor).  Further delving found that the boiler is also not working as well as some of the sockets around the house. I have replaced the washing machine fuse on the wall but this hasn't made any difference.  None of the fuses on the main board have gone either.  Can anyone come up with any suggestions? 

Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes some MK RCDs do the halfway down trip thing. It was the ones which came immediately after the ones which were rebranded Merlin Gerin, I think they called them sentry

Thanks for all your replies.  It dose seem to be a RCD issue,  I pressed the test button and the rcd switched to the middle position.  I then moved it to the bottom position and now it won't move at all. Will replacing this solve my issues? 

Thanks for all your replies.  It dose seem to be a RCD issue,  I pressed the test button and the rcd switched to the middle position.  I then moved it to the bottom position and now it won't move at all. Will replacing this solve my issues? 

No the RCD is most likely working correctly doing exactly what it is designed to do. i.e. disconnecting the power in the event of a fault. You will need to identify what and where the fault is. First of all Turn the RCD and all of the MCB's (fuses) off. then see if the RCD can be turned on with every thing else still turned off. If the RCD can be turned on, then turn each individual MCB back on one at a time and watch if the RCD trips when a particular circuit is energised. It could be a faulty appliance plugged in somewhere. You may need to go round unplugging all of your appliances to get the RCD to rest first.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: