DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcgaw81

High Zs

Question

I wired a shower last week and went back to connect it up and test today, however on testing the Zs of the circuit i get a reading of 0.93ohms, and the MCB maximum is 0.92ohms (50amp Type B) in regs, on the back of my NICEIC test books its 80% which allows 0.73ohms.

More detail, what I have is a Sub Main supplied in 16mm Twin and Earth from a 60amp switch fuse. I have install new 4 way enclosure with 63amp RCD 50amp MCB (shower) 16amp (1x Double skt).

At the top of the RCD i get 0.22ohms, socket is 0.44ohms and the high reading for the shower. Everything else tests ok, my R1+R2 was 0.46ohms. Now i know i could have done my Zs by calculation and would have had a satisfactory result but why is my R1+R2 ok but high Zs.

What are my options of reducing this, different Type MCB, maybe type 1? What other options do I have?

Thanks in advance.

34 answers to this question

Thanks batty and special location.

I am well aware of checking and verifying figures on circuits, i am a test engineer for an niceic approved contractor.

It was more of a paperwork question rather than practice.

I asked the question of the tutor as i am aware 411.5 is for tt supply and this was the reason for my question. why were the nic quoting it on paperwork.

I dont like enetering figures just cause i am told to do so by the nic. i wanted to know where they got it from and why.

Thanks again

1667 -vs- 1666 is actually 1666.66667 recurring. (50v / 30ma)

I have NEVER been told to do that??:|:| passed my 17th 11April 2008!

well had my NIC annual inspection 2nd week of Feb...

checked two jobs..

Both full rewires...

Both full RCD/RCBO 17th ed compliant CU's..

All my EIC certs had the max Z's values from table 41.3 written in them.....

no comments were made about either?:|

I still tend to er on the side of caution... what if your RCD don't work?

be nice to know the MCB has best possible chance of doing the business with a live-earth fault?

Interesting,

to clarify it was not 17th course that pointed it out, i asked them the question.

It was in our last nic visit march 2008.

As we our due our next visit at the end of this month i will again be asking the question again.

Sorry if this seems pointless to you guys, but i always ask questions.

Once again thank you for your answers

Interesting,

to clarify it was not 17th course that pointed it out, i asked them the question.

As we our due our next visit at the end of this month i will again be asking the question again.

erm???

NOPE!

most defiantly not pointless.....

may take a couple of posts to get to the bottom of what angle you are approaching from...

but all good banter & debate IMHO!

Guiness Drink:YGuiness Drink:Y

(children's warning.... DON'T mix your drinks!:D:^O:^O:^O)

Interesting,

I would think 200 ohms would be max myself but I probably am wrong.

I would think 200 ohms would be max myself but I probably am wrong.

Hi batty

I understand the theory of what the nic are saying :- Ra x I∆n ≤50v

or 50v / .03 = 1666.6Ω

I just dont get why we were asked to put it on forms and obviously others (special location) have not.

Anyway enough questions time for a Guiness Drink

Thanks

Hi batty

I understand the theory of what the nic are saying :- Ra x I∆n ≤50v

or 50v / .03 = 1666.6Ω

I just dont get why we were asked to put it on forms and obviously others (special location) have not.

Anyway enough questions time for a Guiness Drink

Thanks

If tt system on 30mA rcd then 1667 ohms is max but as an rcd could be unstable over 200ohms I would think that should be max value. For tns and pme you would use other tables in red book.

Batty

The thing is in this instance you cannot use the fact that the circuit is RCD protected to get away from the fact that the measured Zs is high.... for a 15m run you should know that it should be no where near the values that you have got and that there is something wrong.

The thing is in this instance you cannot use the fact that the circuit is RCD protected to get away from the fact that the measured Zs is high.... for a 15m run you should know that it should be no where near the values that you have got and that there is something wrong.

Thats what I said Noz.

Batty

Even if the reading that you got was just under the max permissible, it should still be sounding alarm bells for a run that short