Personal Statement- HELP!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kli1

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help with what to write on an apprentice application form.

Basically its asking "how your knowledge, skills and experience could be of value to us as an employer.

My english has always been pretty poor , any help appreciated!

Why not draft something - post it and we'll give you feedback?

:)

Please excuse me a moment....................

(Alert, Alert - conflict of Avatar - Binky is also sporting a smilie mug. What is the procedure for this? I HAVE READ THE T&C AND FOUND NOTHING?! NOTHING I TELLS YA...................)

ah - that feels better :)

Looking for a bit of help with what to write on an apprentice application form.Basically its asking "how your knowledge, skills and experience could be of value to us as an employer.

My english has always been pretty poor , any help appreciated!
I saw it first :p

Assuming you have no previous work experience ie you are a school leaver, then I would opt for lots of stuff about being keen, willing to listen and learn, and any hands on type experience you might have that demostrates your desire to train as an electrician. Iys one of those circumstances where a bit of mating for a friens or relative shows good, or any form of employment from Saturday jobs to paper rounds. As an employer I would want to see motivation, and a bit of self-motivation to better yourself, but would not necessarily expect much hands on experience becuase that is obviosly something you can't get without the job. Involvement in any extra curricular activities is always good, football clubs, scouts - anything that might suggest your not a lazy teenager who sits on their ar*e all day.

anything that might suggest your not a lazy teenager who sits on their ar*e all day.
That bit is covered by applying for the job in the first place. :D

Why not draft something - post it and we'll give you feedback? :)

Please excuse me a moment....................

(Alert, Alert - conflict of Avatar - Binky is also sporting a smilie mug. What is the procedure for this? I HAVE READ THE T&C AND FOUND NOTHING?! NOTHING I TELLS YA...................)

ah - that feels better :)
Something like this ?

Having spent 3 years at university I have came to conclusion, after serious consideration that I wish to pursue a career in the electrical industry. I started college in jan 09 to study the pre-apprentice electrical installation course, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Partaking in this course as also confirmed my desire to become a electrician. Furthermore I have successfully completed the pre-employment assessment (SECTT).I am also currently working part time to help fund my studies.

Ps Binky you can have that avatar, found a better one:D

If you are taking on an apprentice take them on well before August / September.

In Scotland they actually start their apprenticeship on the first day of college. Their previous 6-9 months or whatever don't count.

Take them on as a 'trainee' initially and NOT an apprentice -there is little practical difference but a lot of difference if you need to dispense of them

Once they start at college there is a 6 week trial period. 6 weeks is too little when it comes to some, 3-6 months is more realistic.

Some school leavers are super at the start, but they gradually fall by the wayside.

Something like this ?Having spent 3 years at university I have came to conclusion, after serious consideration that I wish to pursue a career in the electrical industry. I started college in jan 09 to study the pre-apprentice electrical installation course, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Partaking in this course as also confirmed my desire to become a electrician. Furthermore I have successfully completed the pre-employment assessment (SECTT).I am also currently working part time to help fund my studies.

Ps Binky you can have that avatar, found a better one:D
Love the Avatar :D

Like what you've written. What are you working as? Any transferable skills? eg

'working as a barman has taught me the ability to work as a team and on my own. I have also been entrusted with money and keys to the presmisis. I am a good communicator.........' that type of thing?

Any work experience with a spark?

Something like this ?Having spent 3 years at university I have came to conclusion, after serious consideration that I wish to pursue a career in the electrical industry. I started college in jan 09 to study the pre-apprentice electrical installation course, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Partaking in this course as also confirmed my desire to become a electrician. Furthermore I have successfully completed the pre-employment assessment (SECTT).I am also currently working part time to help fund my studies.
Good starter for 10, but take on board Apaches' advice - track record of working / reliability etc counts for a lot. One other point follow up applications with your CV with a phone call. You'll probaly get 99% rejections, but your only after one job, and it shows good initiative (regard the call as an interview and be prepared for it as such). I employed an apprentice last year - he phoned me first, I promptly lost his number, but contacted the local CFE about apprentices and they recommended the same young man without prompting by me - got my vote so I took him on and I'm glad I did. One other point, a lot of idiot outfits take on apprentices as cheap labour, don't let them put you off this career, you can still learn from them, and there are good employers out there

You need to show off your abilities and your commitment on the lines of

After three years at university, I enrolled myself in January of this year, on the pre apprentice electrical installation course which I succesfully passed.

The course was funded by myself from earnings whilst in part time employment.

Prospective employers will see from my cv that I am a keen and eager learner, who has the ability to study, whilst at the same time working.

Working part time has taught me to work as a team member, and be responsible for the ongoing image of the company I work for.

I have an excellent time keeping record and I have had no days off in the last (200 years). You can edit that ; \

My time at university has taught me to be methodical in my approach to study, and to work to strict timescales and pressures.

I believe my abilities as outlined would be of benefit to a prospective employer, because they show I can commit myself to any task, get on with fellow workers, and become, in time a valuable member of the team.

Or words to that effect, its a long time since I applied for a job.

You should also state if you have had any responsibilities whils working part time, has your employer asked you to take charge, given you keys to a property(shows confidence and trust) etc etc.

Love the Avatar :D Like what you've written. What are you working as? Any transferable skills? eg

'working as a barman has taught me the ability to work as a team and on my own. I have also been entrusted with money and keys to the presmisis. I am a good communicator.........' that type of thing?

Any work experience with a spark?
I'm working in a tax office basically sitting in front of a computer screen all night. Not had any experience with a spark at all.

Good starter for 10, but take on board Apaches' advice - track record of working / reliability etc counts for a lot. One other point follow up applications with your CV with a phone call. You'll probaly get 99% rejections, but your only after one job, and it shows good initiative (regard the call as an interview and be prepared for it as such). I employed an apprentice last year - he phoned me first, I promptly lost his number, but contacted the local CFE about apprentices and they recommended the same young man without prompting by me - got my vote so I took him on and I'm glad I did. One other point, a lot of idiot outfits take on apprentices as cheap labour, don't let them put you off this career, you can still learn from them, and there are good employers out there
I have phoned up a few companies already but had no luck. Also sent out loads of emails and letters. Recently sat assessments for two companies but the competition was quite high so not getting my hopes up for them.

You need to show off your abilities and your commitment on the lines ofAfter three years at university, I enrolled myself in January of this year, on the pre apprentice electrical installation course which I succesfully passed.

The course was funded by myself from earnings whilst in part time employment.

Prospective employers will see from my cv that I am a keen and eager learner, who has the ability to study, whilst at the same time working.

Working part time has taught me to work as a team member, and be responsible for the ongoing image of the company I work for.

I have an excellent time keeping record and I have had no days off in the last (200 years). You can edit that ; \

My time at university has taught me to be methodical in my approach to study, and to work to strict timescales and pressures.

I believe my abilities as outlined would be of benefit to a prospective employer, because they show I can commit myself to any task, get on with fellow workers, and become, in time a valuable member of the team.

Or words to that effect, its a long time since I applied for a job.

You should also state if you have had any responsibilities whils working part time, has your employer asked you to take charge, given you keys to a property(shows confidence and trust) etc etc.
Thanks green-hornet this stuff is ideal!

Also put in there that you are keen to learn more and as a result, will be happy to do any further training that the company may require you to do. :D

Glad to help and take Admin's advise and add your willingness to learn more skills!

Employers want to know :

Do you drive - you will be spending lots of time picking up gear

Have you got ur own transport - even better

Have u got any tools

Have u done any practical DIY / work in houses before

Latest posts