Above cooker light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been asked by a customer today to give her sister a call, they want a light fitting put above the cooker instead of the current broken cooker hood, was thinking of a small strip light or something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LL6576.html or should it be a low voltage unit as its above the cooker? Anything else I need to consider above a cooker, can't find anything in the OSG relating to it being a particular zone, obviously I have to consider other influences but that should only be steam and I think this one would be resistant to that being suitable for a bathroom even though not zones 0,1 or 2.

Any advice please before I give them a call.

Thought about that but I'd mount it level with the top of the units so would be well away from the heat of the hob.

The lights incorperated in the cooker hood have a heat resistant glass cover.

Not sure on your question as I have never been asked to replace one for the other.

However I would think heat and vapour would play a part in your selection of a suitable replacement

Is it wise not to have a cooker hood over the cooker? What about ventilation? Is this not the major issue here?

Surly heat rises and could be an issue.

Also steam (esp in no extractor) would require a suitable IP rating?

I know what our kitchen gets like when the fan is off and a couple of pans are boiling.....

id try and persuade them to purchase another cooker hood! they'll soon get fed up of looking at that light fitting. what sort of cooker hood was the old one? is there a big hole behind it where its been venting?

but as everyone says it needs to be steam and heat proof(ish)

gas regs state nothing uncombustile within 750mm of the cooker hot plate.

Thanks for the replies,

The cooker hood that was fitted was one that should go on an external wall and ventilate out of the house, but it was fitted to an internal wall so was never used as a fan. This was more of an enquiry to you all really incase you had any good ideas on particular lights as have never tried fitting a light above a cooker before - always used a cooker hood but guessed someone must have done it before. I will obviously try and convince them to get a cooker hood - and one that doesn't need a ventilation hole but if they really don't want to spend the money then I'll try and find a suitable light fitting - however I think a light fitting is going to cost almost as much as a new cooker hood to honest!

Latest posts