CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daiashthomas

Advice wanted (pretty please)

5 posts in this topic

i'm going to do my

IEE Regulations - 17th Edition (Full Course) City & Guilds 2382-10,

Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations City & Guilds 2391

Part P Building Regulations

Portable Appliance Testing City & Guilds 2377

I'm going self employed as a security engineer (as this is my trade approx 7yrs+) and also want to do Electrical work

what equipment will i need with regards to all the testing and certifying procedures, plus i want to make my business efficient as possible,

i've been looking at these so far.....

Megger 1553 inc powersuite onsite software

Megger 50m extension test lead

AVO Megger PAT 4dv/3 PAT Tester

Martindale Safety voltage indicator and proving unit

I have a Multimeter already, Just not exactly what other essentials i may need?

just wondering also if its worth carrying a laptop, printer etc...... with you at all times (as in just in case u need them)? or do you not use them that often when out and about in work?

so many deciding factors when starting out, it's one big headache

i need to find out total possible outlay for equipment for the purpose of my business plan etc.... for grants/loans applications etc....

plus i know you might think i'm being stupid here, but do i really need a van, as i would like to use it as a decent personal vehicle as well, so i would prefer a large estate car...... as i think it projects a more professional image, plus having worked in the security trade most companies use estate cars.

any thoughts?

(mainly looking for advice on the test equipment though)

many thanks

Ashley

i'm going to do my

IEE Regulations - 17th Edition (Full Course) City & Guilds 2382-10,

Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations City & Guilds 2391

Part P Building Regulations

Portable Appliance Testing City & Guilds 2377

I'm going self employed as a security engineer (as this is my trade approx 7yrs+) and also want to do Electrical work

what equipment will i need with regards to all the testing and certifying procedures, plus i want to make my business efficient as possible,

i've been looking at these so far.....

Megger 1553 inc powersuite onsite software

unless you want the bluetooth opton to go with a laptop etc, when consider a 1552

Megger 50m extension test lead

youll be lucky if its used - just do R1R2 and saves messy leads

AVO Megger PAT 4dv/3 PAT Tester

Martindale Safety voltage indicator and proving unit

you dont always need a proving unit - just use a known supply

I have a Multimeter already, Just not exactly what other essentials i may need?

just wondering also if its worth carrying a laptop, printer etc...... with you at all times (as in just in case u need them)? or do you not use them that often when out and about in work?

only thing my laptop gets used for is engineer manuals that i dont have printed

so many deciding factors when starting out, it's one big headache

i need to find out total possible outlay for equipment for the purpose of my business plan etc.... for grants/loans applications etc....

plus i know you might think i'm being stupid here, but do i really need a van, as i would like to use it as a decent personal vehicle as well, so i would prefer a large estate car...... as i think it projects a more professional image, plus having worked in the security trade most companies use estate cars.

any thoughts?

depends how much you want to carry. i used to manage with an astra estate (well, just), and now have a large van - doubt i could manage with a standard transit sized van now!

(mainly looking for advice on the test equipment though)

many thanks

Ashley

my red

I would get a van that looks good- and has a mobile phone kit

Don't get a long mobile contract, keep your existing one (incase things don't work out)

Get a landline number for your business- I use TTNC as they let you pick the number. I have had other providers, but the call can take ages to go divert to your mobile. This is a virtual number, so you can move house and it follows you (at no cost).

The TTNC lets you have a landline number for incoming calls and you can divert your calls to any number you want- you don't have to give out your mobile to all and sundry. It also saves your home telephone number being given out.

It may be cheaper to buy a second hand (would still go for megger) from ebay and use tysoft easy cert- cheaper.

I use a laptop on site and a portable A4 printer- saves a lot of time.

thanks for the advice guys, is there anything else i'm likely to need test wise

thanks for the advice guys, is there anything else i'm likely to need test wise

A sense of humour? Pray ROTFWL