Central Heating Wiring - Plumber wired incorrectly?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hi All,

Forgive me here, because I have never worked on a Central Heating System or its associated wiring.

I am not even upto date on what system it is, or how to find out how to work out what system it is.

I have a Cold Water storage tank in the loft, A back burner behind a Gas fire, which we never use, in the back room, and there is a Copper hot water cylinder tank in the Cupboard next to it.

I changed the old clock dial system on it some time ago (To the one shown in the pic, below - and yes - I have seen the cpc used as a link : O) - and it has always worked perfectly.

Had a problem with the 3 port valve and a plumber has been out to change it. He has connect the new wiring from that 3 port valve via a JB (see pic) to the old wiring that is still connected to the Central Heating 10 way Junction Box.

The Problems we are experiencing are:

1. When we put the Water on, the heating comes on as well.

2. If we turn it off on the clock etc, It still comes on - the ONLY way that I can currently stop this is to switch the "Masterswitch" off.

Your help will be appreciated guys. :x ** Runs for cover **

Pics...

P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

3-PORT-VALVE-LABEL.jpg

HEATHING-JB-2.jpg

HEATING-JB-1.jpg

Horstmann.jpg

P1010075.jpg

P1010076.jpg

If its a 3 port system (cant see pics currently), itsn't that a Y plan system?

Haven't the foggiest Mate - Me and Central Heating have yet to be aquainted. :p

You cannot see the pics above?

What are each of those Terminal strips then? From the left - I know that the first is cpc. O) :innocent

I changed the old clock dial system on it some time ago (To the one shown in the pic, below - and yes - I have seen the cpc used as a link : O) - and it has always worked perfectly.
That made me laugh :D

:^O :Applaud

That was in referrence to the "My changing of the clock". Lol.

Not the "cpc used as a link". :eek:

Thought for a moment they had screwed that JB to some copper pipe!

:^O

It took me the best part of a week to rewire my own controller here, and that was a much simpler system - no valves.

So very little help from this direction, sorry...

:Blushing

admin..

Your best bet would be to disconnect all the wiring in that wiring centre and start again from scratch.. While honeywell do have diagrams for these, there's nothing to say it's been done that way.

Each valve comes with a wiring diagram

Or get the part number off the valve and get the diagram off the honeywell site

Admin:

Do you require direct assistance?

If your hot water was a gravity fed system (the pump didn`t come on for hot water only), then one of the restrictions with that system was that you automatically get hot water when the CH is on.

However, the business about it not turning off suggests the connections to the "wiring centre" (loosely) are somewhat wrong.

One of the biggest issues is that, without seeing BOTH ends of the control cables (thermostats, boiler etc.), you cannot be sure of the actual use of a conductor, just by its core colour.m (i.e. Tank stats commonly use 3 terminals. Some are wired in flex, some in T+E, some in 3+E. There isn`t a standard which everone sticks to as to which colour does what, unfortunately.

HTH (prob. not)

KME

admins fault is that the heating comes on aswell as hot water, which you don't want. I don't beleive theres any system that works that way round?

If I were you admin I'd start a fresh like noz says, honeywells website has all diagrams on.

Agreed Sellers - I wasn`t mis-reading. I do wonder if the plumbit got the 3 port wiring backwards, AND stuffed up a couple of wires, which is over-riding the controller.

edit: you`re right, there ISN`T a system that works (intentionally) as Admin describes.

Sounds to me as though the grey and white are the wrong way round. Either that or you haven't got a hot water off signal from the programmer (which would feed the grey with 240v when HW is off).

Have you got the old valve? Is it the same model as the new one? Maybe it was not a Y plan before and Plumber has fitted this V4073A when he should have fitted something else.

Were you able to operate the HW and CH independantly and together before? ie, HW only, CH only and HW & CH together.

Have you got the old valve? Is it the same model as the new one?
No Mate, The plumber took that With him. (or threw it in my Bin?)

Maybe it was not a Y plan before and Plumber has fitted this V4073A when he should have fitted something else.
I honestly don't know. (Can't remember if I ever took a pic with the old one in shot).

Were you able to operate the HW and CH independantly and together before? ie, HW only, CH only and HW & CH together.
I was able to do all three, either Hot Water alone, Central Heating alone, or I was able to put the Both Hot Water & Central Centing together.

I remember that there was a dial on the side to idicate what was on (HW, CH & HW + CH) One was on the Left, one on the Top and one on the Right. There was a White, round disc in the center with a slot in it and an arrow in it, that would turn to whatever we had on at the time.

KME. Thank You very much for your kind offer. I may take you up on an Educational & advisory Capacity? :p

I have ordered one of those easier to wire Honeywell Junction Boxes. (Honeywell - Junction Box - Wiring Centre 42005748-001).

No Mate, The plumber took that With him. (or threw it in my Bin?) I honestly don't know. (Can't remember if I ever took a pic with the old one in shot).

I was able to do all three, either Hot Water alone, Central Heating alone, or I was able to put the Both Hot Water & Central Centing together.

I remember that there was a dial on the side to idicate what was on (HW, CH & HW + CH) One was on the Left, one on the Top and one on the Right. There was a White, round disc in the center with a slot in it and an arrow in it, that would turn to whatever we had on at the time.

KME. Thank You very much for your kind offer. I may take you up on an Educational & advisory Capacity? :p

I have ordered one of those easier to wire Honeywell Junction Boxes. (Honeywell - Junction Box - Wiring Centre 42005748-001).
From a personal point of view I have found that they are more complicated to wire than a strip of chock block:coat

Do you need a copy of the Honeywell Wiring guide??

From a personal point of view I have found that they are more complicated to wire than a strip of chock block:coatDo you need a copy of the Honeywell Wiring guide??
Yes Please Mate - for the system that I have. :p Remember that I have no Room Thermostat. :)