DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Afternoon, I am a student studying electrical Instalations, I have an exam coming up in a few days and I'm really struggling understanding conduit factors, I have an onsite guide but the thing that is confusing to me is the numbers of the factors for example: conduit diameter is 16mm and the factor is 290.. what does the 290 stand for?! I would appreciate any help, thank you.
  3. Today
  4. roys

Live Inspections

Was still doing that up to when I retired 6 years ago, if it had to be done in a Haz Area the risk assessment and permit had to include constant gas monitoring as well as the additional safe guards for live working. Sometimes there is just no better way to fault find than getting the power on, although it can be an uphill battle trying to explain that to our health and safety colleagues.
  5. Evans Electric

Live Inspections

Thanks for that .
  6. Tony S

Just washing the car .

One thing I miss about village life is conversation with the locals. That said I wouldn’t go back to it, I’ve got used to the convenience of city life. OK I can’t just phone a local farm to stock the freezers with meat and veg. I don’t miss getting snowed in for days on end.
  7. Evans Electric

Live Inspections

No live testing Eh ! When I started , on maintenance & breakdowns , the first we did was open the panel door , cheat the safety device , switch on & start poking about .
  8. Evans Electric

Just washing the car .

Thats what crossed my mind TBH
  9. Evans Electric

Help to Interpret a Regulation ?

It has got silly , where you adapt to one upgrade and then they keep adding and altering . Domestic work now , I think just RCBO s on everything , end of . All this pratting about . What was it ? Freezer socket without RCD but MUST have label , but you can't do that because the cable is buried in the wall less than 50 mm deep , but you could use a Flexishield cable , but then you'd have to buy a whole drum @ £1000,000 .
  10. roys

Live Inspections

CompEx, Qualification for working on electrical equipment in hazardous areas, be it gas or dust. (Competence Explosion). Qualification only lasts 5 years and I last did mine 10 years ago so I have forgotten more than I knew. Back to the OP, and I am sure you know, but for the benefit of others the 3 levels of inspections are from memory visual, close and detailed. You could certainly do a visual inspection (hands in pockets) on all the different types Exd, Exe, Exi etc, could you do a close mmm can’t remember, (hands out of pockets but no tools). In theory you could do all 3 levels of inspection on an ExI piece of kit as the energy level is limited to below that of what could cause ignition, but in practice I don’t think it would be allowed. As I say my memory is failing me and you will be doing your course soon if your qual only has 6 months left, so come back and tell us Welcome to the forum by the way.
  11. binky

Live Inspections

the official line is no live testing bar Zs as you say Evans. Not that I would want to be live testing other than that and Ze / PSCC / PFC and RCD trip times of course.
  12. binky

Just washing the car .

It's great you have neighbours that sop and talk.Some of mine would rather walk past and ignore me than talk, which I find a bit bizarre considering some of the things I've sorted out for them.
  13. binky

Know what you mean, I need to re-read this section of the regs to confirm when we don't have to RCD things. I've still got it in my head that industrial doesn't necessarily need RCDs or surface cable runs. I particularly need to double check on the solar side, becuase solar inverters can be good at tripping RCDs, but most now have some form of RCD protection built in.
  14. kerching

Cable Fault Location

15. Blue Duck

Just washing the car .

Wear a balaclava next time, or move to London where no one talks to each other....
  16. Evans Electric

A couple of boo boo's

I remember one sparks , when I was an apprentii , always going on about wiring without a joint anywhere ...all this resistance etc ...should NEVER have joints . .. yadda yadda Load of old tosh really . I was just a kid but another sparks told me to ignore it and ( one of those small things you seem to remember ) he said the whole network throughout the land all the way to the final light switch was made up of joints and just take notice . He also said some blokes just talk a load of ballcocks ..................after a lifetime in the trade I'd agree with him . From the bloke who told me to hold the metal fuseboard with one hand while fishing about in the board & you won't get a shock . ( Yeah right ! Lucky for me I'd already figured that one out ) To the spark who claimed you can't fit galvo boxes on black enamel conduit To the spark who argued black & blue that a 30A X 30mA RCD would trip out , on an overload greater than 30A AND that you cannot pass a neutral through a light switch box . We didn't renew his sub contract to us IIRC .
  17. Evans Electric

Not exactly Binky , I've been putting welding sockets in for years but never with an RCD . Now , with the Regs coming in over the last few years , we started with RCDs for outside sockets ............ then it was virtually ALL sockets unless you fitted a label ....then it was under the control of skilled personal...then it was for ALL circuits in a bathroom ....then for buried cables unless they were a certain depth deep in the wall ....... also sockets up to 20 amp was it ?? but include over 20A for mobile vehicles ....on & on ...now we have 300 different types of RCD in the equation . I imagined a welder knocking the RCD out all the time , but putting one OUTSIDE raised the question . However The Canny Geordie has experience of this and assures that an RCD will be no problem . They hav'nt answered my quote as yet but if they go ahead it will indeed be RCD.
  18. Yesterday
  19. I would have thought that compliance with the regulations to avoid mechanical strain on cables or terminations should prevent any joint becoming that loose? Whatever type of joint; junction box, commando plug, cooker supply, SWA etc, either the cables should be appropriately fixed or where flexibility and movement are required a gland or clamp etc, to secure the cable to prevent conductors pulling out of terminations CU tails should be no different. As there is quite a bit on mechanical external influences, (522.8.5 comes to mind), to some degree you can understand the EON / Western Power point of view. However common sense would suggest that where there are no visible signs of any cable fixings, cleats or clamps, (just like thousands of older properties), you would double check nothing feels looser than it should be. Doc H.
  20. binky

Cable Fault Location

well that could just be something wired to the circuit, like a TV aerial booster in the attic, a light you left switched on, or 12v transformer. WHAT WAS THE ORIGINALL FAULT????
  21. Evans Electric

Just washing the car .

Didn't work yesterday so in the afternoon went onto the front drive to wash the car . Told the missus it'll take 1/2 hour . Trigger passes and as usual misses his house ...doubles back , greets me with the only words he's ever used ...."Alright " ( One day he'll say "Alright Dave " ) Cynthia passes "OOooh 'ello " Points to child ...'"es 7 today can you believe it , Ooo I don't know , I really don't?" ( Thinking well yes he looks about 7 ) Chat with Macadoodle about the rise in car thefts in the road lately . Chat with Simon , he's taking an early retirement offer , they've taken his company car off him . Chat with **** health probs . Chat with Hiacyth , car thefts , recent rain flooding her property . Chat with Thomas the Christian Indian .....two additional sockets required. Will the jeweller pulls over .... electrics in flat he owns in the city , empty , new kitchen etc. Back into the house.....Missus " How long does it take to wash the car ? "
  22. Tony S

A couple of boo boo's

I had two 95mm² 3c 11kV cables to run ¾ of a mile. Each of the seven cable drums weighed in at four tons. Eight joints, two within 50 yards of the remote substation. Sometimes cable joints are an inconvenient fact of life.
  23. Evans Electric

A couple of boo boo's

The joint wouldn't bother me either ...probably a long run of SWA , someone forgot to measure the last drop to the board . Seen it done loads & have been guilty of the same mistake , which made me ultra careful when measuring up .
  24. Evans Electric

Live Inspections

Presumably you're referring say, to a control panel that cannot be shut down without causing great problems or expense ..... you can't attach any instruments other than taking a Loop impedance reading , so I'd guess all you can do is visually inspect . What does " my last compex mean " by the way ?
  25. Evans Electric

Chernobyl on Sky Atlantic

I have to say that things like Chernobyl scare the pants off me . Specially that cloud of shyte that drifted over North Wales & Cumbria making the grass radio active .
  26. Evans Electric

BS8436 Cable Guardian Flex/Flexishield etc

Jono, why is Flexishield being specified anyway ?
  1. Load more activity

FORUM SPONSORS

Electrical Test Equipment
Test Meter Calibration
Test Equipment Manufacturers
Electrical & Tool Suppliers
Tool Manufacturers
Electrical Software
Education & Training
To Advertise and become a Forum Sponsor of

talk.electricianforum.co.uk, please

contact the Administrator

Here Thank You.

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.