DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Sidewinder

RCD tripping over 40ms on 5x

Maybe not so much warranty as failure on initial commissioning, likely due to incompetent testing.
  3. Murdoch

Uni ....is it an overblown concept ?

I'm sure the push for the 50% was : a. to reduce the numbers of people claiming unemployment b. Generate money for HM treasury .........6% on the loans is pure rip off ....... then the reality is that the honest tax payer will pick up the bill for the loans as about 50% of the people taking degrees are not forecast to pay the loans off c. improve job prospects - which is fine for some courses, but lots (we know a kid doing a degree in sports journalism) there simply aren't the jobs available I think it would be far better for the country as a whole to bring back the proper technical colleges ..........
  4. Murdoch

I can't remember the last time I had to replace a RCD under warranty ..................... maybe the manufacturers should make more reliable products!
  5. Today
  6. Andy™

Hello, and an apology

along with blowing the main fuse, id epxect many electronics to also have been fried
  7. kerching

FTFY Youre welcome
  8. kerching

It has been muted that for Amd 1 (and I have this from the man at the top) if there is evidence of an old RCD box in the dustbin OR there is an 'A' in the day then NO testing is needed for anything....just drive past slowly and note down the house number
  9. binky

Mech Eng should be employable, but I suspect lack of recruitment whilst Brexit is firking the economy. Defo too many at Uni who don't really belong there. The Blair plan was to encourage a high skill, well eductaed workforce as a way of defeating cheap Chinese labour. Not a bad plan in it;'s own right, but the trouble is too many kids doing Mickey Mouse degree courses, like 'Media Studies', and Unis' as businesses in their own right just want 'bums on seats' so don't care if the kids just wasted 3 years and £50k to get a job in Costa! Uni's are no different to our favourite quango registration bodies - money first, standards second.
  10. roys

Well learn something every day, I didn’t realise that was the reason for change, thanks for posting that info Sidey.
  11. Evans Electric

Just throwing this out in this season of A levels etc . Was it advanced by the Labour Government under Blair that everyone MUST go to Uni that cranked up this concept that discounting how clever you may be , you must get a place in uni. Yet there were once prestigious colleges of advanced education round here & in all our areas that could take you through , say , the basic C&Gs that Sparkies need to ONC & HNC in electrical & mechanical studies. In my opinion these courses were far more prestigious than many of today's useless Uni degrees that won't get you any further in getting a job. Our friend's grandson has just graduated with , I think , a masters degree in Mech. Eng . Job offers so far seem to be in sales on commission . Go figure as they say .
  12. Sharpend

So does this mean we’ll have to buy a new 18th edition multifunction tester as our current ones have too many tests on them and it might confuse the novice??
  13. Evans Electric

Hello, and an apology

Definitely the wrong Forum but no need to apologise , I had a Renault Trafic 25 yrs ago which is of no use to you whatsoever because I can't remember where anything was on it . Good luck & follow Sharpen's post above .
  14. Sidewinder

I don't see why you can't make a warranty claim if the device fails under 7671 testing, I would. Push button test to 6 monthly, not quite testing but limitation of leakage current in designs to 30% of the RCD residual current rating, EFLI testing downstream of an RCD not essential if R1+R2 have been proven, for additional protection it is no longer mandated to do the x1 tests, apparently if the x5 test is fine then additional protection is ok. It is still being recommended that all the tests are done x1 & x5 @ 0 & 180, but, there is only space on the form in the book to record the max time.
  15. Rob.

However, you can still return the item under warranty if it still fails the tests? Haven't looked over the RCD testing requirements from the 18th, what's the change?
  16. Sharpend

Hello, and an apology

https://www.google.co.uk/search? HTH
  17. Telectrix

Hello, and an apology

might be located within the + terminal assembly on the battery itself. failing that, a fuse/relay box in the engine compartment.
  18. binky

Hello, and an apology

there's afew Renalt owners on here that may be able to help.
  19. It wiuld be very rude of me to join and say nothing, but I thinkI have joined the wrong forum. You see, I have a 1993 Renault Trafic, and yesterday did the fool's trick of trying to put the battery on backwards. It didn't even dawn on me when I was struggling to get the leads to reach, and got sparks from the terminal. The battery still holds 12volts, but I think that I may have blown the main fuse. My problem is that even Renault can't tell me where to find that! While I am here, does anybody have any idea about where I should be looking for the problem please? Many thanks, feel free to laugh at my stupidity, and I apologise for coming to the wrong place.
  20. Sidewinder

The manufacturers of RCD's considered it necessary to reduce the number of what they consider to be false warranty claims due to devices that failed field testing under BS 7671. So it was not, change for change's sake. It was change to increase manufacturers profits. There was nothing that the rest of JPEL/64 could or would do to go against the majority. If greater evidence could have been gathered this would not have happened and the full suite of testing and recording of information would still be required. However, a few people tried to gather evidence, and the response from the trade was somewhat pathetic, so the manufacturers won and got it reduced. Their next aim is to remove it all together and rely on the device test button.
  21. Murdoch

Anxious wait until tomorrow morning ......

Well - she got the course she wanted and accommodation that didn't break OUR bank and she was happy with .......... the misses is filling boxes already!
  22. Murdoch

I did wonder why this was even considered necessary. It seems like change for change sake only - in an attempt to justify the 18th was necessary.
  23. Yesterday
  24. Sidewinder

The change in the RCD testing from the 17th to the 18th.
  25. What were the end to end readings of the l, n & e?
  26. Murdoch

Which means?
  27. The original poster has not been seen since!
  28. Yes Murdoch that's right one leg was good and the other low. I thought it was a bit weird to. Dave: Well the guy showed me all the sockets and he said his pretty sure that's all if them I am going back later this week I may have to go hunting for an hidden socket if not I'll split the ring.
  1. Load more activity

FORUM SPONSORS

Test Equipment Manufacturers
Electrical & Tool Suppliers
Tool Manufacturers
Electrical Software
Education & Training
To Advertise and become a Forum Sponsor of

talk.electricianforum.co.uk, please

contact the Administrator

Here Thank You.

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.