All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Geoff1946

Adding batteries in series

Yes, you've summarised it OK. Whilst what you suggest with two unmatched batteries works in theory there are so many variables that there is a VERY high risk of it all going wrong. I had assumed they were lithium ion types, hence my warning about fire, etc. The same principle (of early failure}, would equally apply with other battery types. The only batteries I would advocate using in series would be identical ones, of the same manufacturer and same age.
  4. Sharpend

Needing some advice to get started

Welcome Deano, so this course you speak of, what does it exactly consist of and what do you come away with?
  5. Hi guys Currently have my level 2 from collage and been doing a study at home course through train for jobs. I didn't know initially would the course would involve but I'm just about half way through . I soon learnt i will not finish the course with my current situation working full time in a job non related to electrical. So my course has been on pause for a while . Im 27 years old . Have no on site experience and ideally would like to work to get experience now . My problem is no one wants me due to no experience. At this rate I will loose the 7500 pound ive spent to do this course. Good thing though at the end of it I should have everything I need to get going just feel like I'm stuck now . is anyone else in a similar situation or have any advice what i can do? Or what jobs i should be looking for with no experience require Thanks Dean
  6. Starway

Thanks, so basically if I add a new 12v 15ah in series to the existing old 48v 15ah I would have issue with the older battery and the newer ones not being compatible due to their age and inability to keep up maybe ? And like Geoff said I would wear down the smaller battery first and then it goes downhill. Is this because I’m using lithium ion batteries with high discharge currents ? I guess there are just so many different batteries around it’s all amazingly confusing now. So so everyone is basically saying don’t try it and go for a 60v battery when it’s time to upgrade ? No way of safely adding extra volts to the motor ? Thanks I really appreciate all the knowledge this forum is truly amazing
  7. Arnak

Halogen Uplighter Cable.

Hi trailer Boy, That's great advice, thanks very much. Martin
  8. Tony S

Mature apprentices ?

To be honest I’d go for the industrial side, you already have some experience of it. Managing a contract isn’t easy as I found out early on, fortunately the company were there to help (they threw in the mire, they got me out). There’s a lot more to moving and installing a transformer (see https://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/knowledgebase/transformers/). Cabling and protection need understanding both can cause a dangerous situation. There’s also the funny side, trying to explain just how we’d got a transformer stuck under a railway bridge caused much merriment. My apprenticeship collage work was mainly theory. No conduit bending / installation work, that was your employers responsibly. I’m 64 now, apprentice collage work has changed a lot since then.
  9. roys

Very seldom would we just replace one faulty battery in a bank of batteries we would replace the whole bank, point being the batteries need to be fairly well matched for optimum safety and performance. I have seen the result of a battery going into reverse polarity many years ago and it wasn’t pretty. I actually had to ask one of the cleverer blokes to explain the failure as I didn’t understand it at the time. Max Voltage of the motor should be stamped on the name plate, and barring failing bearings and or brushes if it is a universal motor, there is very little else that will deviate the motor from the name plate details. So max watts, current, rpm should be accurate.
  10. Starway

Wow thanks so much guys , I didn’t realise it would be that complex when combining 2 batteries together. I have seen guys adding batteries together to run their bikes at higher voltage. But based on your knowledge I’m definitely going to avoid it since it is so expensive. Does anyone have an idea how I can could achieve 60v battery from my 48v battery or would I need to just have a new one built to 60v spec ? I just figured it must be possible to combine batteries. My current battery has a BMs inside of it to regulate the charging and balancing I think. Is there a way to achieve what I’m after in a safe way? Thanks james Also Does anyone know how to test a motors maximum input voltage and watts ? thanks
  11. Geoff1946

No. The lower rated batteries would run down first then try to charge in reverse polarity driven from the larger ones. In this sense they would be a resistor, as suggested and would detract from the power available, but it would also quickly ruin them and they could even explode or catch fire.. This can already happen with cells within a battery, but the maker should have ensured they are balanced, in terms of discharge rate/voltage. With different source batteries any close balance is unlikely. Also do not believe the ampre hour ratings advertised especially with cheap batteries. Apart from being at least optimistic, (not to say lies), it is an application dependant rating. Batteries which can supply say 1 amp for 10 hours will probably not supply 10 amps for 1 hour. Finally, never exceed the rated voltage of any semiconductor device or equipment. All too often the designers have left minimal safety margins, to keep manufacturing costs down.
  12. binky

I think the smaller batteries would act as a resistor and burn out.
  13. Spoon

I think the thing that is important in putting batteries in series is the ah rating. Make sure they are the same. I'm happy for someone to correct me on this. Regarding the controller. Personally I would not go above the recommended voltage. 60V in your case. Unless you have money to spare and can afford another controller if/when it goes pop cause you have put 72V in it.
  14. Yesterday
  15. Hi guys, ‘I don’t know if anyone could help but I thought I would give it a shot. I have a ebike motor with a 60v controller that came with it but I have been using a 48v 15ah battery the whole time, the battery is actually 5 years old but I haven’t used it that much so it’s working great still. . I must say it’s working great . I was thinking a few things though could I add a 12v 15ah battery lithium ion in series to get 60v battery output? Would i harm my existing battery ? I have seen cheap 12v 15000mah batteries on eBay designed for cctv systems or various things , could I add this to my bikes existing battery connection and turn it into a 60v like my controller is designed for? Also how far can you push a controller in terms of voltage, as I was thinking maybe I could get a 24v and go up to 72v . Would that be too much for a 60v controller? Thanks guys JAMES
  16. SPECIAL LOCATION

Halogen Uplighter Cable.

If its the last bit of wire that actually connects onto the lamp holder itself... then I think you will need a new lamp-holder, which comes with that short length of sleeved heat res flex.. e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonlux-Double-Ended-Connector-Ceramics-Halogen/dp/B07PY65M14/ref=asc_df_B07PY65M14/ Otherwise you will not be able to terminate directly onto the ends of the lamp holder.
  17. Arnak

Halogen Uplighter Cable.

Thanks for the reply Geoff. It is just a normal room uplighter with a 300w halogen bulb. With 3 core flex, unfortunately due to the virus I cannot get out to a supplier. On your advice, I will try 3 core heat resistant cable,. Yes, it also has fiberglass insulation close to the terminations as well. I can transfer that to the new cable. The old cable has become brittle because of heat damage over the years so it is due for replacement.8-)) Martin
  18. Sharpend

Mature apprentices ?

My advice would be to sign up with a couple of agencies, it may be tough at the moment but you probably have more knowledge than you think. By going through the agency route you will make contacts for if not now then further down the line, providing you do a good job, many firms wouldn’t know quick if it meant saving their lives never mind their job.
  19. Evans Electric

Mature apprentices ?

This is the scary stuff thats going on these days . This is another thing that occurs these days ... that is a wealth of experience you describe but you don't get considered at the advanced age 49 . What are these firms scared of FFS , in this day & age you could give them 20 yrs service . At which time they've probably gone bust anyway .
  20. 800fsbgang

Mature apprentices ?

Interesting Would you class me as a competent individual Im 49 years of age ,I starting working down the mines at 16, working on the electrical heavy gang,which consisted of transporting large transformers through awful terrain ,in shocking conditions .After 6 years,I left and then worked my way up to run a large team in an engineering company(Stressful),but i couldn't settle ,at 30 year old ,I managed to get a job at a supply company and put myself through college ,it took 3 years in the evenings level 2 and 3 2330, pat testing and 17th edition ,i then got a job in a distribution company,and learnt a massive amount.My problem was i never did my 2391.I can do most electrical jobs and I certainly don’t think its easy money, and to do it properly you need a huge amount of skill. Ive recently been to one of the training places no names mentioned ,ive done my solar panel and ev car charging courses ,as i was, and still am thinking of going on my own, but would love to work for somebody, These guys I met on these courses ,have had no electrical experience in many cases and have just done a 32 days course as a Part P installer, some of the people didn't know what day it was, how they got through their initial verification assessment ,i have no idea. When i was working with distribution, Ive taken supplies away, even after proper registered sparks have done shoddy work ,theres all inexperienced and experienced cowboys regardless what of age or background. Ive sent my CV off to loads of electrical companies, even to work as an improver, my problem is I'm too old, probably wouldn't be quick enough, never get replies.Ive thought about doing my 2391(I think its a different course now)but i don't think it would do me any favours,as I haven’t got a good background in Domestic and commercial . on top of that ,this industry about to get tough for the best sparks, never mind inexperienced guys like me.
  21. 800fsbgang

Not exporting PME to Outbuilding

Cheers Mate
  22. binky

RCBO in house may trip even if earthing isn't linked. Sub mains do not require RCD protection, so as said above, MCB in house would be fine.
  23. Murdoch

Just saying Hi

Maybe put your location on your profile , you never know who may need skills and if they / we don't know where you are ...
  24. 800fsbgang

Cheers mate ,in an assessment for the NIC ,would it be a cause for concern if RCD protection at both ends,although not needed?.
  25. 800fsbgang

Just saying Hi

Nottinghamshire mate ,yer your right, things will pick up but its going to take a while.
  26. Murdoch

Just saying Hi

gosh that’s a bit of an understatement, I expect the next 12 months to be extremely choppy op - where are you based?
  27. Geoff1946

Halogen Uplighter Cable.

300 watt is one heck of an uplighter! Is it portable or fixed installation? If portable note whether 2 core (if double insulated) or three core if there is an earth. Basically you need to replace like for like. It will be heat resistant and most likely have additional fibreglass sheathing on the individual cores close to the terminations. Best way, take a sample of the old to your supplier, making sure they are aware it's heat resistant. Heat resistant flex is usually marked as such along the outer sheath.
  28. Sharpend

Just saying Hi

Ouch, that’s was unfortunate timing!!
  1. Load more activity

FORUM SPONSORS

Test Equipment Manufacturers
Electrical & Tool Suppliers
Tool Manufacturers
Electrical Software
Education & Training
To Advertise and become a Forum Sponsor of

talk.electricianforum.co.uk, please

contact the Administrator

Here Thank You.

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.