Personalised Number Plates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents

A bit of fun for a Saturday night. Was having a conversation with the gf today and personalised number plates came up. We had differing views, so I thought I would throw it out to you guys and see what the consensus is*

:D

*I don't actually expect a consensus

Feel free to expand on your answers below! :D

from a psychology point of view

mr smith finds that

as a rule

people with personalised number plates are making up for a deficiency in another part of their psyche

the exception to this is businesses

who have personalised numbers for their fleet

be they one or one hundred in number

mr smith

yes pache it was me who has voted i own a private plate on my own car :innocent ive had it since about 2004 and transferred it to my second car in that few years, i have my initials and my month and date of birth, on it :p

I don't have one and can never see myself getting one..

Proper personalised plates I can see a point of, however these "new(ish)" ones being issued by the DVLA seem to be pointless,, they just make you look twice at a car thinking that car is never that old... other than that they mean nothing!

However,,,,

about 30 years or so ago my father had a van with the number plate,,,,

HEK 240V

he was a market gardener and back then we didn't see any relevance in the plate; private ones were the "proper" ones! but now I think it would suit my van

OOOOH.

I`se got one, on me van.

It were a birthday pressy from Mrs. KME, consisting of the initial of my surname, day of birth (tomorrow, as it `appens :) ), and the business` commonly used initials - KME.

There is a photo of it here somewhere on the forum........hang on a mo.......

Couldn`t find the blinkin original post-----

IMG_0080-1.jpg

ME ;)

I voted waste of money.

I prefer my cars to have real substance, not just be a superficial style statement that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

In my younger days my rally car was also my road car. To most it just looked like another old Avenger. But it could out accelerate a Porsche and out handle just about any road car available at the time.

Unfortunately, these days i have 3 blood sucking leeches (aka wife and kids) depleting my wallet, so that XK-R is out of reach!

Oh, to be able to go rallying again! those halogen days.

I voted waste of money.I prefer my cars to have real substance, not just be a superficial style statement that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

In my younger days my rally car was also my road car. To most it just looked like another old Avenger. But it could out accelerate a Porsche and out handle just about any road car available at the time.

Unfortunately, these days i have 3 blood sucking leeches (aka wife and kids) depleting my wallet, so that XK-R is out of reach!

Oh, to be able to go rallying again! those halogen days.
Was that the spotlights or did you mean "Halcyon days" ? :)

I voted for I have 1, it's not a personalised plate as the initials on it mean nothing to me, I just liked the combination. However what it is is what I consider to be a proper plate its very old and non age related (Three letters 3 consequitive numbers). I picked it up 20+ years ago for buttons and have no intention of ever selling it, it's not used to hide the age of my car either as it's quite obviously not a current model.

Once when trying to get insurance the number came up as being registered to a lambretta, broker jokingly said you seen to have carried out a lot of mods saying as I was insuring an Impreza Turbo (back in 1995).

Pity you can only vote for one option.

I have one on the van: R16GY*, on my wife's car: E*** JOY, and on my car. However I acknowledge they are silly, and a waste of money!

I've wasted lots of money in my life, on lots of silly things, that's maybe why I smile a lot.

Pity you can only vote for one option.I have one on the van: R16GY*, on my wife's car: E*** JOY, and on my car. However I acknowledge they are silly, and a waste of money!

I've wasted lots of money in my life, on lots of silly things, that's maybe why I smile a lot.
i disagree bad day explode i think they are nice to have to me it makes me think more of my vehicle (making it more special) knowing i have my dob and initials on it,

It depends how you look at it. They aren't really a waste of money because they don't really lose any value and if you find a good one you can make on it. I'll be getting one for my van soon.

I have a personalised plate on the Jag

birthday present from the family

waste of money ,,,,,,maybe

but when the car has been cleaned, polished it looks the dogs billocks

and no-one can tell the age !!!!!

dont have any private plates, and probably wont bother with one either

someone i know has private plates on most of his vehicles (all ending with same 3 letters)