DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Scams & General Warnings

Do you want me to add a "Scams & General Warnings" forum?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want me to add a "Scams & General Warnings" forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

m4tty

Sounds like a good idea mate and how about people can add phone numbers to ignore. Ie, advertising firms being a fpita calling all the time. 5 calls this week already ffs

PC Electrics

Yes. We often get repeated postings about the same scam, so you could put a sticky at the top of the forum asking people to search for threads about a scam before they post a fresh thread. That way they can add to an existing thread to bring it to the top (if it's still an active or reactivated scam) rather than filling the servers with repeat info.

septiclecky
Following on from this thread and the many we have heard of on this forum...

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10684

... Do you think it will be a good idea to have a forum dedicated to this type of behaviour?

Yes I do personally, as it warns other members of the forum about potential scams and such like.

Admin

With regard to making it a sticky about checking first before posting...

... I have already added (sometime ago), a feature that checks for threads already posted, using the keywords in the title that you have entered.

I have also, only Today, added the same feature to the new version of our forum. :)

New members should be excused/told about this, NOT greeted with a "Oh, again" or a "We have already had this, keep up" etc.

;)

Theorysparky
Sounds like a good idea mate and how about people can add phone numbers to ignore. Ie, advertising firms being a fpita calling all the time. 5 calls this week already ffs

nice one Centurion

+1

Manator

Whilst trying to remain impartial I do think that this is a very good idea, and I vote yes.

Riggy

I am (so far) the only "No" vote.

I think there are already too many sub-forums

Riggy

Good idea, but check with a solicitor first!

vandalay

I think anything can help any of us getting ripped off can only be a good idea.

NozSpark

TBH I voted yes,

but it doesn't matter that much as I only look at the section when I create a new thread, all other times I click the "NEW POSTS" button; and that's how it's bookmarked aswell!

m4tty

Same here new posts is the key forum button for me too

Apache
TBH I voted yes,

but it doesn't matter that much as I only look at the section when I create a new thread, all other times I click the "NEW POSTS" button; and that's how it's bookmarked aswell!

I voted yes, but do the same as Noz. Doesn't matter where you file it as far as I am concerned!

:D

M107

Same here voted yes & the New posts is the most used button....unless I'm searching for a particular post topic

Admin

Admin 2 always uses that, BUT I never do.

Andy™

only time i ever venture into the subforums is looking for a thread or to make a thread. all other times 'new posts' is used

vandalay

I did vote yes but along with it looks like everyone else I log in and go to new posts.

The catergories are vital I think though when starting a thread.

Riggy
I did vote yes but along with it looks like everyone else I log in and go to new posts.

The catergories are vital I think though when starting a thread.

If I'm reading this right, everyone (other than Admin) uses the new posts button, how then can the categories be vital. Have I missed the point again?

Admin

The Categories are there and to be used to add a thread to the correct category, regardless of whether you use the "New Posts" link or not.

They are easier and quicker to find too.

If I didn't have these - the forum home page would look like that of the SF board.

Andy™

categories are useful, and needed to keep everything where they should be. makes browsing various subforums much easier. even though many of us use 'new posts'

philbas

Categories are also useful for new members, for whom everything is a new post :)

pinky

^+1

categories are useful although i too only generally use the new posts button

e.g if i had a phone call that i was dubious about or a question about college stuff etc could go check said category before asking a question that could have been answered umpteen times. as the search option can often give a hell of a lot of posts/threads.

there are always gonna be people who are unfamiliar with forums (or just a bit lazy:D) who will ask the question before looking round but having a category to point in the direction of is often easier than repeatedly answering the same questions.

green-hornet

Well, I must admit I have totally missed this thread/poll, I did vote yes and as the poll has been running for so long I also vote that admin makes the sticky known scams post with immediate effect.

ianmacd

I voted No for a very good reason. Its a mistake to have an open forum where anyone can notify unfounded information and claim its dodgy. For example, lets assume Apple release asoftware update, then someone in MS posts (possibly annonymously) on this forum saying the update will cause huge problems but its all rubbish but the reputational damage has been done and potentially, this forum is legally liable as a publisher.

By all means have one but do not let it pe open to post in by members only mods who can validate the claims before hand.

Admin

This forum would not be for what you say in your example - that would be a review - this is for Scams mate.

You know - E-mails claiming to be from banks and HMRC, etc.

This thread will best be "Needed Moderation" before the posts go live. They will sit in a queue, until the Mods or myself have checked them and get the go ahead (better to be safe than sorry, as all links have to be unclickable etc).

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.