PV domestic installers course

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky b

Reaction score
Just completed a 3 day PV domestic installers course, was alot easier than I thought it was going to be.....

It covered domestic installs, grid connected upto 5kwp...

Some bits that surprised me were:

It back feeds the power through customers cu/db via a spare way (if available)

Install can run on 4mm cable

It's classed as a distribution circuit, so has a 5 second cut off time

There is alot more to it but don't want to make this a long winded post, please ask for more info...

B.

is this the course offered at wf wades? 495 plus vat? worth it??

The course was ran by a company in Birmingham called WMD (West Midland Developements), cost

Well done for passing , sounds very interesting, I've been trying to get on the course myself but have been having difficulty finding some were near to me that's running it.

So far I have only found PPL training (Wigan) who run an NICEIC version which is not C&G recognised I don't think.

http://www.ppltraining.co.uk/courses/renewable-energy-courses-3/niceic-solar-photovoltaic-solar-pv-course-48-in-wiganlancashire-based-in-wiganlancashire.htm

I'm hoping to do the C&G 2372, is that the course you did?

Cheers Ste :)

The course I did wasn't C&G but very similar to the Logic one. I did see a center advertising C&G incluing working at heights and b&b for the week at around

Well done for passing , sounds very interesting, I've been trying to get on the course myself but have been having difficulty finding some were near to me that's running it.So far I have only found PPL training (Wigan) who run an NICEIC version which is not C&G recognised I don't think.

http://www.ppltraining.co.uk/courses/renewable-energy-courses-3/niceic-solar-photovoltaic-solar-pv-course-48-in-wiganlancashire-based-in-wiganlancashire.htm

Stevie,

thats the one I did,

its fine,

all above board and MCS recognised,

good instructors too,

C&G has nothing to do with MCS at this stage, you need MCS, not C&G for solar PV.

Thanks Steptoe, I will give them a ring and get booked on it, small business in my area (Merseyside) are eligible for up to 60% funding for training courses, may as well make the most of it before the new Government pull the plug on it. :)

Well done for passing , sounds very interesting, I've been trying to get on the course myself but have been having difficulty finding some were near to me that's running it.So far I have only found PPL training (Wigan) who run an NICEIC version which is not C&G recognised I don't think.

I did the PPL training in York. Its is a NICEIC course and is recognised. I have MCS off the back of it so all is good.

Hi Mark, Thanks for the advice, if you don't mind me asking, are you getting much PV work/enquires, I think renewable energy will be massive in the future and it's something I'm really interested in being part of.

Cheers

Ste

Hi Mark, Thanks for the advice, if you don't mind me asking, are you getting much PV work/enquires, I think renewable energy will be massive in the future and it's something I'm really interested in being part of.Cheers

Ste
Hi Stevie

Can honestly say yes. Leads are outstanding it's just a shame they aren't all goers. Some people expect a magic cure all for

i do wonder whether mcs registration will become a golden ticket. If you can offer your service to design and commission pv installs as an MCS registered company then you can get lesser skilled (and therefore paid) workers to do the rest

Well.......thats the route we`re going down - a customer (private landlord) has started a supply company for PV; and was willing to pay for my mcs accredition.

"no, thanks, we`ll pay it ourselves", though we will take on as much of his business as we can handle - looks like 2-3 jobs a week:)

Happy dayz, methinks

Don't worry B&Q will be doing the course for free with every panel bought soon.

Another scam to get money from you.

Call me cynical but electrical science has never changed, if you know the basics every calculation or formula can be copied.

I made a transistor computer when I was about 13, and now I am going to bed.

Solar panels? ain't that a bit like kit cars? Or flat pack kitchens? I mean everything is there in the pack, follow the instructions and hey presto it works.

Its one of those pet hates I have on attendance courses, be there and you pass. Its no way to assess anyones capabilities, but it costs you just the same.

I thought I would throw that spanner in the works before I go to bed, so you can all tell me to shut up, (or sleep well) then I will have something to read tomorrow.

Don't worry B&Q will be doing the course for free with every panel bought soon.Another scam to get money from you.

Call me cynical but electrical science has never changed, if you know the basics every calculation or formula can be copied.

I made a transistor computer when I was about 13, and now I am going to bed.

Solar panels? ain't that a bit like kit cars? Or flat pack kitchens? I mean everything is there in the pack, follow the instructions and hey presto it works.

Its one of those pet hates I have on attendance courses, be there and you pass. Its no way to assess anyones capabilities, but it costs you just the same.

I thought I would throw that spanner in the works before I go to bed, so you can all tell me to shut up, (or sleep well) then I will have something to read tomorrow.
sorry GH to burst your bubble a bit,

but any that I have installed arent exactly in a kit form,

you simply buy the panels from a supplier, and all you get are the panels.

then you buy your inverter, from someone else maybe, and all you get is an inverter.

then you need to buy some cable, DC an AC isolators,

a feed in meter, perhaps a little 1way CU if its a long run back to the mains,

I havent come across any yet that actually comes with a set of instructions as such.

but,

on saying that, its not that difficult, assuming you could work out how to build your flatpack wardrobe without instructions, then its just the same.

OH, and remember to label label LABEL everything,!

Does anyone have a rundown of what the course covers? Do they cover the sizing of components and system design?

I have just done the Renewable Energy module of an Electrical Engineering HNC and found it massively complicated.

Lots of calculating energy available from the sun at various times of the year, solar power density, angles and losses. It also covered stand alone systems with battery banks and all that fun stuff... Very acedemic and not very practical

Also it doesn't actually qualify me to install anything...

How many people does it take on average to install solar panels. What equipment do you need apart from the norm eg scaffolding?