photocell light staying on all day

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choccy

Reaction score
Hi guys in need of some knowledge please.

The problem i have is that I have an outside light that is controlled by a photocell but it stays on all day now. bad day explode

I have gotten a new photocell and fitted it but the sme problem still exists. Can anyone help. headbang

If you're sure there's not an override switch somewhere in the system, your new photocell is faulty (possibly wrong rating? - too high or too low wattage rating can cause problem).

There seems to be no indication that there is an overide switch but i will look again tommorrow and see. Thanks for the quick replies

I'v had trouble with low enegry lamps and some photocells had to use standard lamps to get reliable operation.

some photo cells will operate by switching the power off and on again quickly, so although there may not be an intentional overide switch, if the power to the photocell has been interupted, it could leve the light perm on untill it is switched off again. To try this just kill the power to the light for 20 seconds or so and it should reset. That is if it is one of these models, just a suggestion. ;)

Hi guys just an update on the lights, Photocell was faulty and does indeed put light on constant as a fail safe.

Changed over to new one and all is fine, at first would not switch on and off but this was due to not covering it enough. So happy days all round:coffee

ALSO A BIG THANKS TO ANDY HE WAS VERY HELPFUL INDEED THANKS AGAIN.

Trying not to be all lovey dovey. :Y