lighting circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on size of property, but as I tend to split circuits on the 'more is better' principle, I tend to use 1.0mm, as the highest Zs I've ever had was around 1.2 ohms. I used to use 1.5mm, but the Zs results were so low, I changed back to 1.0mm to save a few quid, make terminating cables easier, improve distinction between cable sizes with 2.5mm, and generally make life easier. Ther are occasions when I use 1.5mm, but these are becoming fewer and further in-between.

same as above where poss i use 1.0mm also alot easier to pull down sw drops if pipe or capping in.

I use a standard 1.5mm, this is because from experiance whilst 1mm will do for most jobs when you derate and have to use 1.5mm, I find it easier to just stock 1.5mm.

The price difference is minimal and I have use of all offcuts etc etc etc.

1.5mm for me. At least that way when they change their mind from 1 pendant to 15 downlights I don't have to rip it all back out. Price difference is minimal plus I only have a small van

I've ticked 1.5 for cct and 1.0 for drops, but I usually only do this where the loop is running through insulation (in lofts and floor voids in extensions). Doing this allows the use of a 10A mcb if they put in tons of downlighters and want to stop the mcb tripping every time a lamp goes. Otherwise 1.0 as standard on 6A.

Doing this allows the use of a 10A mcb if they put in tons of downlighters and want to stop the mcb tripping every time a lamp goes. Otherwise 1.0 as standard on 6A.
i always use either B10 or C6 for lighting (unless its a board change then sometimes a B6). IMO if you design a lighting circuit with a 6a MCB that you know will trip when a lamp fails, then you have designed the circuit badly

This poll has surprised me, I thought it would be nearer 50/50, but clearly the 1.5mm is top dog.

Thanks for your input guys I've found it interesting to see how you guys work and the reasons you do what you do and that a slightly cheaper cable price has no influence in the majority.

:Applaud :Applaud:ApplaudGuinnessGuinness