Following On From The Compliant Thread Poll

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id love to know who said 'no'

if 2.5 cannot be protected against overload by a 13A fuse, then why are appliances wired with a max of 1.5mm on a 13A fuse, yet they are safe

The type of cable and installation method aren't specified but if we take it to be 2.5 6242YH (twin & earth) the cable is rated between 18.5 & 30 amps and last time I checked 13 was less than 18.5 so yes, a 13A fuse is adequate protection.

I assume (dangerous, I know) that in the scenario of the original posting we're talking about a 13A BS1362 in a fused spur fusing down a cable otherwise protected by a higher rated device (such as a spur from a ring), in which case if we get a Zs measurement below 1.94 ohms (table 41.2 value 2.42ohms, rule of thumb applied giving 1.94) we're meeting 0.4s disconnection time.

remember though,

a 13a fuse will hold well in excess of 30 amps for a given time.

but for all practicle purposes we are accepted to believe that a 13a fuse will protect a 2.5mm cable without any more specific facts.

remember though,a 13a fuse will hold well in excess of 30 amps for a given time.

but for all practicle purposes we are accepted to believe that a 13a fuse will protect a 2.5mm cable without any more specific facts.
You say a thin bit of fusewire will hold well in excess of thirty amps for a while. What about a bit of 2.5mm copper? To say a 13A fuse will hold thirty amps for a period long enough to damage a 2.5mm cable is a crazy statement.

Are you a wind up merchant steptoe? I cant tell if you are serious or just having a laugh. I guess you voted no.

No one is arguing a 13A fuse will protect a 2.5mm cable. If this poll is supposed to be can a fuse in a plug protect a installed cable then it has been badly written as thats not what it asks at all.

This is a pointless poll.

No one is arguing a 13A fuse will protect a 2.5mm cable. If this poll is supposed to be can a fuse in a plug protect a installed cable then it has been badly written as thats not what it asks at all. This is a pointless poll.
You've missed the irony I'm afraid!

The point of the very deliberate wording of this poll was to show how pointless the poll started by Badger was (the one which you endorsed so enthusiastically).

Your poll regarding fuse plugs to protect radials is also pointless for the same reason - I assume you also are being ironic?

You've missed the irony I'm afraid!The point of the very deliberate wording of this poll was to show how pointless the poll started by Badger was (the one which you endorsed so enthusiastically).

Your poll regarding fuse plugs to protect radials is also pointless for the same reason - I assume you also are being ironic?
YOUR ASKING FOR A SMACK ON THE NOSE!!! bad day explodebad day explode