2nd PC...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshwizard

Honorary Life Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Brother-in-law phoned to see if I could go up and have a look at his NTL Broadband.

He has a PC upstairs (My Niece's) and my B.I.L has his downstairs. The only way that we could connect it up (some time ago) was by use of wireless router. (We tried various makes, but only one worked - The "Brand" of it escapes me at present).

He has bought a double ethernet adaptor for the back of the Modem, and thought it would ba a case of "Just connecting both ethernet cables to it". But it didn't work.

He has a "Coaxial" cable connected to the Modem (screwed in), and he has a Modem Cable connected from the model to the Tower (USB).

Any ideas on how to get it running downstairs too please?

Thanks.

probably the best thing to do is get an ethernet switch. They are just plug and play these days.

Try to get a gig-ethernet one like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0007SQEQ4

There are loads around. I would look at running Cat5e cable to where you want it. A lot quicker than wireless and more stable. If you do go wireless make sure you have good encryption set up otherwise it will be hacked.

Hope this helps

Afternoon GT.

I told him that there was no point in having wireless, as he has two desktop PC's. So he went out and bought a 10 Meter length of Cat5? Ethernet cable.

Just remember that you have to wire it up the right way - If you are using an ethernet hub or switch then it needs to cross over, if you are going straight from PC to PC then it needs to be straight through!

Just remember that you have to wire it up the right way - If you are using an ethernet hub or switch then it needs to cross over, if you are going straight from PC to PC then it needs to be straight through!
Can you go into detail on thatfor a PC Noob please Noz?

thats incorrect from pc to pc its crossover from pc to switch iss none crossover :|

Welsh,

If you are only connecting 2 PC's together then you can just connect the ethernet cables into the ports on th PC's (cables must be crossover). If however you are using a router, hub or a switch to connect the PC's together then you need to use straight through cables.

There are plenty of resource sites out there which can give you more detailed information.

Right, looks like peeps are straying off the mark here. First of all the 'doubler' your on about isn't what you think it is. Basically a cat5 cable has 8 wires in 1 cable 10/100 networks only use 4. All this device does is uses the other 4 as a '2nd line' the 2 lines do not inconnect anywhere and you need the same device at the other end of the cable to split it again. All it does is allow 1 cable to do the job of 2.

As for sharing the net connection. NTL (virgin) only allow 1 IP to be connected at once unless you pay them more. The easiest method to use 2 (or more machines) is to use a broadband router. Wired or wireless whichever suites the situation. All other methods require 1 PC to be on all the time when either machine wants to access t'internet.

Hope this helps. BTW I have a CISCO qualification which helps with these matters. ;)

Totally agree with Barx.

The cheep cost of the router far outways the connection of two computers.

However if you pursue.....

1. Connect the cable CAT5 to the two computers. If the lights on the network interface adaptor light then the cable is probably correct if they don't then you need a cross over cable as the one you've connected is a direct cable for use with a hub.

2. Once the lights light then you need to decide which computer is teh master and obviously connect the broadband to that.

3. Then enable "internet sharing" for this master computer.

4. Best enable DHCP on the master computer.

5 Ensure the workgroup name is set to something identifiable with you.

6. Then on the second/third or whatever computer set the workgroup the same.

7. Set network to "obtain IP address"

8 . With the master up and running start the remote machine and simply use "my network places to discover the other computer(s).

Good luck and please contact me should you require specific instructions.

I totally disagree with some of the comments made earlier regarding wireless. They are rugged and secure its users who make them open and vulnerable.

If you can afford it and your looking to use a laptop in the future then get a wireless router. Note ROUTER not HUB. this will not only give you a firewalled internet but all the tools to network together both wireless and hard wired.

Latest posts