Can a fuse in a plug be used to protect a cable with no other overcurrent protection?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmacd

Reaction score
THis is the poll that should have been created.

Can a fuse in a plug be used to protect a radial with no other suitable overcurrent protection and still comply with 7671?

So to be clear. A socket outlet on a cable with no other suitable overcurrent protection for that cable. Please make sure you have read 433.2.2 including the part where suitable overcurrent protection needs to be installed BEFORE the outlets before voting please.

OMG don't start that rubbish on this thread, Andy. Its boring now. How many times do we need to tell you that this is compliant because of 433.1.5?

None but its complaint still
dont know about you, but id rather install something that is safe, even if its not fully cmpliant, rather than something that i know is unsafe but compliant.

looks like common sense really has gone.

The original question allowed only Yes or No answers. The real answer is 'it depends'. If the circuit is less than 3m then the fusing is allowed at the load end. Can't remember the reg number off hand. This is quite ignoring the special case ring final which is allowed, for historical reasons admittedly, but still allowed.

I'm surprised anyone is trying to apply logic to the wiring regulations though. :)

Surly by being compliant its safe?
NO

THIS IS THE SORT OF STATEMENT I EXPECT OF 5WEEK WONDERS,

complying with 7671 is an arguement in law, not a defacto defence,

complying with EAWR is a total defence,

and what you are stating is not the actions of a competent person.

THe point is if you comply with 7671 you are also complying with EAWR too. Is that not the point of 7671.

What is providing Overload protection for the 2.5mm spur off the 4mm radial on pg 4 of this document.

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/updates/bs7671-2008-corrigendum-jul08.cfm?type=pdf

There is only one possible answer:

1/ The socket outlets cannot be overloaded, so, in accordance with Regulation 433.3.1 (ii), overload protection is not necessary for the conductor, which, because of the characteristics of the load (plugtops), is not likely to carry overload current.

Any overload that may occur after the socket outlets, is covered by the BS1362 fuse in the plugtops, and therefore the 2.5mm cable is protected.

There is no other explanation for why a 2.5mm spur is allowed from a ring final or a 4mm radial. ;)

Stop polluting EVERY thread with your nonsense.
I have made one comment in this thread - which I assume I am entitled to do after I voted.

I'm hardly going to put a different reply in here, when the topic is the same in the other thread.

Stop polluting EVERY thread with your nonsense.
Ianmacd - please stop behaving like a petulant child. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

If you carry on like this the thread will be closed or deleted.