Consumer unit in bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Hi guys/ladies,

do you remember ages ago when i told you that my garage was being converted for my mrs (Poorly ill :( )into a bedroom and ensuite bathroom located at the rear of garage with level access shower.

This is all going to happen for definate very soon, however there is just one question (at the moment haha) that I am not too sure on epsecially as it might come under esqcr or suppliers regs. However, could also do with a bit of guidance on BS7671.

Is it ok to have a consumer unit, meter and cutout within an enclosed cupboard if it will be located in the bathroom with a level access shower area that will be about 2 metres away?

If not then will have to get Eon in to move the meter which might delay the job.

Thanks in advance

I asked tech line same question ages ago (I know nic dont make the rules but hey ho).

I had a house conversion into 2x flats & landlord wanted cu meter & washing machine + dryer in a cupboard within the bathroom for upstairs flat.

Told if cupboard has a door it is classed as a seperate location to bathroom.

How about a suitablyIP rated CU - just to be sure?
CU is not going to be replaced, however they will probably put in small CU for shower,lights and sockets. Also I wasnt sure about meter and cutout, but am now thinking that really its no different being put in enclosed cupboard than it would be in an external meter box.

Thanks anyway

I asked tech line same question ages ago (I know nic dont make the rules but hey ho). I had a house conversion into 2x flats & landlord wanted cu meter & washing machine + dryer in a cupboard within the bathroom for upstairs flat.

Told if cupboard has a door it is classed as a seperate location to bathroom.
Yes that sounds similar to my situation, apart from washing machine and dryer, so i think that the general conclusion is that it will be ok to make a cupboard around the electrical equipment.

Bathrooms get very moist. How will a cupboard door stop that?

I had this at the inception of part p. It's a loophole within the bathroom regs. Basically there is nothing there to say you can't and if the equipment is out of zone, then there's no IP requirement. I was at that time registered with the NIC and they told me it's within regs. They wouldn't do it and I wouldn't do it, but you can't say it's against regs. Not overly happy with their answer I called the IET techline, they also agreed that there's nothing to say it can't be done, but they didn't like it at all.

You know there's really too much reg quoting going on these days. Whatever happened to good old common sense?

I had this at the inception of part p. It's a loophole within the bathroom regs. Basically there is nothing there to say you can't and if the equipment is out of zone, then there's no IP requirement. I was at that time registered with the NIC and they told me it's within regs. They wouldn't do it and I wouldn't do it, but you can't say it's against regs. Not overly happy with their answer I called the IET techline, they also agreed that there's nothing to say it can't be done, but they didn't like it at all.You know there's really too much reg quoting going on these days. Whatever happened to good old common sense?
I agree totally with the commen sense bit shame a few more members on hear don't.

Thanks for your comments so far, has anyone any concerns about the suppliers metering equipment in this location?

Whats the meter reader going to think having to walk into a bathroom to take meter read although meter will be in a cupboard.

Thanks for your comments so far, has anyone any concerns about the suppliers metering equipment in this location?Whats the meter reader going to think having to walk into a bathroom to take meter read although meter will be in a cupboard.
So long as YOU are not taking a shower at the time I'm sure they won't mind;) ;) ; ) ;) ; )

Bearing in mind that meter readers are just that, they have no quals for the most part, I'm pretty sure they won't care where it is.